Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Consumer Reports Looks At Alternative Treatments
    Peter Abaci, MD posted:
    The September issue of Consumer Reports has an interesting review of alternative therapies. Three out of four people in their survey use some form of alternative therapy like acupuncture, chiropractic, or deep tissue massage, while 73% take vitamins and 57% use supplements. Clearly, a lot of us are trying different things to feel better. Have any alternative therapies made a meaningful impact in your life?
    it_is_what_it_is responded:
    yes. i use concentrated Chery juice for sleep,deep tissue massage for muscle pain, therapeutic pool for exercise, this form to get knowledge and keep up to date with new research.
    it_is_what_it_is responded:
    have you heard of any non surgical treatment for cardio Theoretic outlet syndrome?
    davedsel57 responded:
    I get a chiropractic adjustment about once per month. My chiropractor practices "straight chiropracty" - no devices or gimmicks. He also knows my spinal conditions very well and always helps me relieve some pain.

    My wife and I invested in a hot tub and sleep number bed in 2008 and they are very helpful. My recliner also offers good pain relief.

    I've tried various brands of glucosamine blends, but after a few months they seem to stop helping. I do take a daily vitamin d tablet and that does seem to help my chronic pain a bit.
    Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story. Blessings, Dave
    mazzarisi responded:
    aqua therapy has helped my lower lumbar pain for the past two months my insurance recently denied my therapy because of a new provider I am very upset as this helped me a great deal any help with hip providers in the NYarea?
    cweinbl responded:

    I've had four spine surgeries, including at one of the best spine surgery fellowship programs in the nation. Obviously, I've spent a great deal of time in some of the best waiting rooms in America. During that time, I've encountered dozens of patients whose spines were severely damaged by chiropractors.

    Chiropractors are NOT MEDICAL DOCTORS. They do not attend or graduate from an accredited medical school. They have few, if any, hospital privileges. They cannot prescribe medication. They are not allowed to order and are not trained to interpret the most vital radiological imaging systems, including MRI, CAT-scan and myelogram. They use X-ray for imaging. But soft tissue like disc material and tumors do not visualize on X-ray. Thus, if you have unrelenting back pain from a tumor and you go to a chiropractor, your decision might well be a permanent sentence of unrelenting pain, unemployment and disability. This decision can also result in death. No chiropractor is able to diagnose a tumor on your spine. By the time you reach a real doctor, a physician (a professional with the letters "MD" after his or her name), the tumor might have metastasized into a fatal condition. If the pain is from a herniated disc and you visit a chiropractor, their manipulation can push extruded disc into a spinal nerve root, resulting in permanent partial paralysis.

    If you have trouble with your household pipes, you call a plumber. If your car breaks down, you call a mechanic. If someone sues you, you call a lawyer. So, if you have persistent back or neck pain, why would you NOT call a physician?

    The only time you should visit a chiropractor is AFTER you have been to a physician, after you have had an exam and radiological imaging tests. The only time to visit a chiropractor is when you know for certain that your pain is from muscle, ligament or tendon damage, not something more serious. If you go to a chiropractor first, you are risking the rest of your life on a very poor decision.
    NavalVeteran responded:
    None, I have tried acupuncture,nerve blocks,and had one man from China, who did a massage on my feet,that hurt so good, but he has since moved. I visited the VA's new pain management clinic that has just opened up; yet the only thing he told me was to find another doctor; easyer said then done. BJC Hoapital will not alow you to see another doctor that works for BJC. Then try to find a doctor who is willing to take over manageing my pump is very hard to do. My firsst pain doctor did just about everything for me, he would inject my wrists with cortizone, when they became unbareable, I would also get something called trigger finger
    NavalVeteran replied to NavalVeteran's response:

    I got cut off, sorry. but my fingers would not move at all,so he would inject cortisone in the finger joint, and it was amazing how well that worked.I have also tried some different types of exercise in a pool, yet non of them worked. The doctor who has been treating me, would only provide pain medication, and re-filling my pump, he would refuse to do anything else. If you asked this doctor to write a note for me, in y fighting with the VA, he refuses, yet he has time to write two books. I have to see him one more time for a refill, before I see my My old pain doctor called me at home, as I asked him if he would. When I told him how he wanted to treat my breakthrough pain, he told me to get rid of him. It was a sad day that they closed down the pain clinic at BJC-St. Peter's, so he just went back to work as an anesthesiologist at the hospital.My diabetes has not been doing very well, until I found a private endocronologist, as the VA had me on Medmorphine & Glyburide, the stuff loaded up in my system and when I went to drive to a doctor's appointment, I passed out, and went into full renal failure. Onec, my pain doctor said that he would not give me breakthrough medication, due to my liver disease, but my doctor, Dr. Bacon, said he had no problem with me taking breakthrough medication; Any other question, just ask, thanks for reading my post.
    Lee Bolin
    Normafromcharleston responded:
    I use pariffin tubs for hands and feet and elbows for joint pain. It will last a few days.
    vnsman responded:
    For me it started 10yrs ago from a job injury which ended up getting a dislocaated disc. I had the Steriod shots in the lower back. After about ayear one of the shots parilized me for 4 or 5 hrs. The pain was unbearible. So I told myself Never again.
    They also had me on pain pills which I didn't want to get addic ted to. So a little over three yrs ago I wnet to a Chriopractor and started the Decompression which did help the pain enough that I stopped taking the pain pills. Then my legs got so bad I saw a Nurosurgan and now got my first spinnal injection in 10yrs. After 3 weeks I'm feeling much better in the back. My legs are still very numb. I try not to drive anymore just to be safe. They also said now I have spinnal speroucis?
    So I still might need surgey down the road sometime. I hope not though.

    cindynana51 responded:
    I take different far as alternative therapies, I haven't tried any of them yet. Thank you so much for your reply!!
    Possumfoot responded:
    That's my whole problem with my ruptured discs. Several doctors have told me to get physical therapy without even recommending where or just what. I am so frustated I could scream. Just what to I ask or say if I just happen to find a place to call where I live? Just what kind of therapy am I looking for?
    Peter Abaci, MD replied to Possumfoot's response:

    There are many different types of treatments and modalities found under the umbrella of physical therapy. There isn't just one specific type of PT that you have to look for, but here are some tips for someone with spine problems:

    I would avoid PT remedies that are designed for more acute injuries. Instead, you want to find a PT to work with who will help you with your posture, body mechanics, building your core muscle strength, leg strength, endurance, and mobility if you are getting stiff. Sometimes they can do some hands on deep tissue work to help release muscles that are particularly knotted up. There are many different rehab approaches, including non-traditional approaches like Feldnekreis and Pilates, but no matter what you do, the main thing is to learn how to move and exercise again when you are in pain.

    I recommend that in the beginning you work with someone one-on-one, so you get lots of attention. Avoid going somewhere where it is more of an assembly line and you only get a few minutes of individual attention from the therapist.
    322Karen responded:
    Reike! Is offered free by Reike Masters at the cancer center and helped me through radiation therapy and beyond. Am going back now for a few weeks during a time of stress.
    davidvm replied to cweinbl's response:
    I have been treating people for the last 10 years who have had failed surgeries (back,neck, knee, sciatica, etc), failed treatment of soft tissue pain by Chiropractors, Neurologists, Physical Therapists, etc. I use Myofascial Release, Soft Tissue Release and CranioSacral Therapy with a rate of success of over 90% and the clients are permanently pain free, if they follow instructions and come back for periodic check-ups.
    If you are not familiar with these treatments you can look up the following names for information: John Barnes, Stuart Taws, John Upledger and Walt Fritz. Also you may contact me by E-mail.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.