Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManagemen[email protected]

    Torn intercostal or cracked rib?
    Katedarula posted:
    Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this thread. I apologize if it's under the wrong section.[br>[br>So my problem is that I've had some extreme pain going on for weeks now in my rib area. It is approx. underneath my right breast. A friend of mine who works out told me that it sounds like a torn intercostal muscle. Now, this was about 3 weeks ago. A few nights ago, I sat up and twisted too quickly and felt what can only be described as a rubberband popping. I am unsure of whether this is my intercostal(s) or a cracked rib, because I woke up yesterday, and the best way to describe how I felt was that it felt like I just got out of surgery. INTENSE. The pain is very intense to the point where I cannot do anything. Whenever I cough, sneeze, or even breath, I feel an extraordinarily sharp stabbing pain. It actually feels as if I am being stabbed in my lungs or something in there whenever I do anything whatsoever. It feels a different and 100 times more intense than it did a few weeks ago. I read that you can lay on your back and feel your ribcage, and if you feel a protrusion, then it's most likely the ribs. I tried to lay on my back I had to have someone come over and help me up right away. It's soooo painful, and that's saying a lot coming for me, as I normally have a high threshold for pain. [br>[br>This post is a bit scatterbrained, so if anyone can help me and has any further questions about this, please just ask. Any and all help is much appreciated.
    davedsel57 responded:

    I hate to sound like a broken record as I have replied to several other recent posts this way, but there is no way for anyone over an internet message board to know what that could be. You need to see a doctor asap for evaluation and treatment.

    If cost is an issue, look into free or low-cost clinics in your area. If it becomes an emergency then get to a local hospital emergency room right away. They must treat you regardless of ability to pay.

    I hope you can get this resolved soon.
    Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.



    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.