Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManageme[email protected]

    Jaylien5 posted:
    I am experiencing moderate to severe back pain. I have had degenerative disc disease fro about 8 years. The pain is now in my hips and going down my legs. It feels like I have a lot of pelvic pressure and have to urinate a lot. I have degenerative disc disease, spurs, bulging/protruding disc and no fluid in some so yes I live with pain daily. But this is different. This is unbearable. I have had MRI's. The Drs. say they won't do surgery on me because of my age and I smoke. Beyond that I just need some advice on how I can make it through the rest of the night with a little relief. I have already taken Vicodin and Tylenol. (I know bad mix but I had to try something). Anyone? I really need an answer. It's now been all night. Please Anyone. I need relief.
    Nana_of_spa responded:
    The same things are going on with my back. I think on the written MRI report it mentions 6 things. When the Dr I see for the osteoarthritis in my spine and knees looks at the report, he just says the arthritis doesn't look bad enough to cause me such pain. But he never mentions the herniated/dehydrated disc, the spurs, spondylolisthesis, cyst, large hemangioma, lordosis, and there are a couple more that I forget. I understand the arthritis alone may not be causing such pain, but isn't it possible that all of it together is?
    Both of my brothers have arthritis and spondylolisthesis, and both have Dr.s that give them Morphine! My Dr. isn't willing to give me anything more than Norco 7.5/325. (which I have told him does not work)
    I use a can, don't go many places, and spend a lot of time in a hot tub of water and on my heating pad. The heat does help, but as soon as I am away from it, the moderate to severe pain comes back.
    I was told by many people to find a different Dr. Maybe you should do the same.
    Good luck. I really hope you find some way to get relief soon.
    PetuniaPea responded:
    I replied in your other post about anti-inflammatory foods decreasing pain...just wanted to add, look into the Mediterannean diet. It's extremely anti-inflammatory, and can give you even more inspiration to try new foods and new recipes.

    I promise you, if you quit smoking, reduce or eliminate sugar, increase your fruit, veggie, and legume intake, and reduce dairy and meat and all that tasty fast food and processed food and everything else I mentioned in my other post, you'll feel almost instant pain relief by a little. Then by the end of the month, you'll have even more pain relief! Next month will be a full year since I improved my diet, and I'm never going back to those inflammatory foods! Ever!
    Jaylien5 replied to PetuniaPea's response:
    Thanks I'm already on the Mediterranean diet. Didn't make much of a difference. I'm going to a different PCP today and I am hopeful he can give me something to ease this pain.
    PetuniaPea replied to Jaylien5's response:
    Hi again, good luck with your appointment today. Just want to make sure you check your other post, you got lots more replies that may be helpful. Keep us posted, and I'm sure even more folks will keep giving you helpful advice.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.