Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    What is the best way to deal with the pains associated with MS?
    nana_kat posted:
    My husband has been recently diagnosed with MS. It is in its earliest stages and is limited to his neck for the time being. He experiences pain in his neck, near his brain stem, and is usually followed by a severe headache.
    I am wondering whether heat or cold would be a better way to make hime feel better.
    Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi Nana_kat,

    While you're waiting for responses here, I encourage you to also post on our Multiple Sclerosis community .

    Welcome to WebMD.
    We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
    ~Joseph Campbell
    David Maine, MD responded:
    Thank you for your post. Severe spasticity can occur in patients with MS. There is tremendous variability between patients but when spasm do occur they can be painful. Spasms can often be provoked by active or passive attempts to rise from a bed or wheelchair. Oral medications are a first line therapy and generally can be effective. Patients with MS may also experience neuropathic pain (burning). This can be treated with several different classes of oral medications as well. I would discuss your husband's complaints with his neurologist to determine what the best course of action. Good luck.
    77grace responded:
    Hi nana-kat,
    Welcome.I also suffer with very bad headaches and neck problems!!Several of my DRs. agree that either hot or cold ,Its whateer feels better to the patient!!
    I usaually start with Heat (MOIST) and then put an Ice pack right the spot where your head meets the neck!Lie down and do some deep breathing and relax!
    God luck.77grace
    nana_kat replied to David Maine, MD's response:
    He has now decided to quit his injections because they make him so sick. His neurologist has moved out of state and he refuses to make time to go to another one. I heard that there is another medication that is taken daily. Are there any side effects that will cause him to be sick with these new meds? His latest MRI showed the same lesion on his neck and 2 in his brain. What do you suggest I tell him to get him back to the doctor?
    nana_kat replied to 77grace's response:
    Thank you!
    ctbeth replied to nana_kat's response:
    Hi Nanakat,

    There are more than a few meds that persons with MS are prescribed

    If your husband found the adverse effects of one med to be intolerable, when he consults with a neurologist, he will have opportunity to discuss his adverse effects to the last med and discuss the many aspects of MS therapies

    If you live near a teaching hospital associated with a university, your husband may have access to some of the newer treatment options

    Perhaps you can find a MS family support group that can help you cope with your husbands illness A group like that should also have a educational component whereby the different medicine options may be discussed,

    Best wishes, and I hope that you find resources to help your husband and you.
    jv1962 responded:
    I have a aunt who is 67 years old with ms she has been prescribed Marinol which is a pill with THC same as medical marijuana but it is in pill form.It has really made it easier.>Most dr's don't like to prescribe it but check it out.Good Luck. Jim

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.