Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Toradol Injection? Anyone Please!!!!!!
    bpcookie posted:
    Hello peeps, I have Vulva Lichen Simplex Chronicus which is chronic burning pain of the vulva. My pain is that of nerve/skin pain. I called urgent care and they said the only pain injection they can give is Toradol. I am wondering if that would help nerve pain? My pain level is a 9+. I am suffering terribly. I don't want to go to Urgent Care if Toradol won't help. Please, if anyone has any information about this inject I am begging you to let me know.

    Thank you

    WebMD Health Ambassador- BpCookie
    77grace responded:
    Hi bpcookie,
    First of all I am really surprised that a urgent care can only give Tordal????Why don't they still use drugs like Demoral ,Stadlo or morphine?Althogu I am not sure anywhere would give somethign as strong as Demoral for Vulva pain?I'm sure it is very pain full,but I've never heard of that Problem!
    I do know that I have used Tordaol injections for sevral things and it helped!Actuall y come to think of fit One of those was a ovarian cyst surgery!All they would give me was Tordal beause at thtat time I was new to Sobreity!
    I guess it's worth a try!The secret is to get it mixed with somethign like Phenegran for Nausea!If they don't use phenegran ask for Visteral !They help the Tordal to work better !
    Hope yopu feel better soon, 77grace
    bpcookie replied to 77grace's response:
    Thank you hun. I never did go in to get the injection. Instead I took a Hydrocodone and Lorazepam and then sat on an ice pack. I was hurting so badly that I started hyperventilating. Thank goodness my pain level started to go down after that.

    Next time this happens and the pain level stays high, I will go to the ER. They can give injections for Demerol which should help the pain. Thanks again
    WebMD Health Ambassador- BpCookie
    ctbeth replied to 77grace's response:
    Toradol, (ketorolac tromethamine), treats pain and inflammation caused by arthritis, menstrual cramps, and other inflammation problems.

    It is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).

    Make sure your doctor knows if you have a history of ulcers or other stomach problems.

    NSAIDS may cause bleeding in your stomach or intestines. This problem can happen without warning signs.

    This is more likely if you have had a stomach ulcer in the past, if you smoke or drink alcohol regularly.

    As an RN and patient both, I have found it usually not useful to present at an emergency room and tell the MD what to prescribe.

    It's important, moreso, to be certain to describe symptoms as accurately as one can.

    As chronic pain patients, we usually know what is causing our pain, but the MD. PA, APRN who is treating us in emergency medicine, do not know our histories and must evaluate possibilities based upon our symptoms and signs.

    Emergency rooms are really not the place for chronic pain treatment. This has been discussed many times.

    Chronic pain patients really need a pain management specialist or a primary care , general practitioner who knows us, our histories, our medicines, allergies, etc. A good pain management MD will also discuss with you what to in case of a flare up of your usual pain symptoms.

    Demerol (meperidine) is just another opiod pain reliever. It is similar to morphine.

    Phenergan (promethazine), which is a type of medicine called a sedating antihistamine.

    Phenergan is known as a sedating anti-histamine because it enters the brain in significant quantities and causes drowsiness.

    Vistaril (hydroxyzine) is another sedating anti-histamine. It is chemically and functionally similar to Phenergan

    bpcookie replied to ctbeth's response:
    Hello CTBeth, I have a gyno and pain specialst but neither know how to treat my pain properly. My pain issue is vulva related but neither gyno nor pain specialist knows what to do when my pain level gets out of hand. As it is, the meds they have me on now dont work very well even when my pain levels are at a low 4. Im hoping to find the right med, or procedure or sursery to fix the problem and I wont ever have to think about the ER ever again.

    Thanks for all the info. on the medication. Have a good day hun
    WebMD Health Ambassador- BpCookie
    annette030 responded:
    Toradol injections work really well for many types of pain. There is no way to guarantee they will work for you.

    Do you see a doctor regularly for your chronic pain issues? I have not needed to use the ER or an Urgent Care facility for about 15 years now. I have pain, but I also have a plan to deal with it. If you have the time to go on line about this problem, perhaps make an appt. and go see your regular doctor.

    Take care, Annette
    annette030 replied to bpcookie's response:
    Demerol should not be used much anymore. It can cause toxicity and seizures, even a single dose. I think it is a geographic thing, but I know that it was rarely, if ever, given at the last ER I worked in in Nevada. I worked there for nine years as an RN and can easily count on one hand the number of times I gave it.

    I am so glad you did not need to go anywhere and could treat it at home.

    Take care, Annette
    ctbeth replied to annette030's response:
    I've not seen an MD order Demerol for years.

    Do you remember when pre-op patients would be admitted the eve before surgery? It was that long ago that I remember giving

    Demerol and Visteral, IM in the same syringe, pre-op.

    I'm getting old
    annette030 replied to ctbeth's response:
    Me, too. In ER it is rarely given anymore. Old MDs do occasionally give it. Everyone got it pre-op in the olden days, I remember it like you do.

    Hugs, Annette
    bpcookie responded:
    I have never went to the ER for my pain issues because I dont know if they can even help me.

    Ive had 9 procedures done by my pain specialist and they always give me Demerol. I dont know if the ER's give injections of Demerol but I know they give Morphine.
    WebMD Health Ambassador- BpCookie
    rosielou replied to bpcookie's response:
    Hey Cookie,

    I've read/followed your posts on this and other boards, including your own, and know you're one of the good people here on WebMD. Dealing with your particular type of pain must be awful. I hope you find answers soon.

    bpcookie replied to rosielou's response:
    Rosilou hun, Your very kind. Thank you so much. hugs
    WebMD Health Ambassador- BpCookie
    meaningfulc1952 responded:
    Hi bpcookie,
    I do not know if toradol would be the appropriate type of treatment for Vulva Lichen Simplex Chronicus . I do know that toradol injections have been given to me for an anti-inflammatory treatment. I think that toradol would not be a choice to inject in the vulva since that area is so very sensitive anyway. That is only my opinion though. I would ask a dr. in gynecology what they would recommend for your pain in that area. They would absolutely know better than someone that gets toradol for an orthopedic pain, etc.

    I am interested in knowing what you find out from your GYN. Please let us know what he/she said.
    meaningfulc1952 replied to 77grace's response:
    Hi Grace,
    I have been to urgent care more times than I care to say. Mostly only for a sore throat, and infections similar to that. My most recent visit their for a sore throat and sore glands in my neck I was given an antibiotic and a cough med if it was needed.

    These urgent care clinics do not prescribe Demerol, Stadol, or Morphine. I have found that the new type of clinics that are now around that have everything that a hospital would have for treatment and the wait time is very short well, they will give a morphine injection or put an IV in and then put the medicine in there. Those type of clinics are sometimes hard to find, but there is one where I live and it is not far, so if I am having a real bad type of pain and do not know why, I will go there. These clinics have a CT scan and x-rays on the spot and you
    get the results of any tests that they do before you ever leave there. I have never been given Demerol at any of these clinics though.

    From what I have seen, the hospitals do not even give Demerol shots anymore. It is really too bad that they won't. It is just another way of how the drug abusers have screwed things up for real patients that have real pain.

    I have also noticed that the clinics and hospitals prefer to use another drug for nausea instead of Phenergan or visteral. I just can not remember the name of that drug now. It is fairly new, probably been out for more than a few years now. Personally, if they offer that to me for nausea, I refuse it.

    Feardorcha68 replied to meaningfulc1952's response:
    Hi Meanngful1952.
    Could the drug the you're talking about be Zofran?
    I had a problem with nausea and vomiting for almost 2 weeks after fusion surgery.
    My doctor prescribed Zofran and it worked really well.
    Is there something about it that you didn't like?
    If you had severe vomiting and you were offered Zofram, why would you refuse to take it? Are there new problems with it?
    I was given Compazine once at the hospital post-op. It made me really jumpy, so that's when I had Zofran.
    It seemed fine for me.

    Annette said that as RNs, that she haven't seen Demerol for a long time.
    Does this have to do with drug addicts? I guess I really don't understand this.

    I was injured in a freak fall. An ambulance came and they gave me morphine in the ambulance.
    I don't know what I got post op for pain.I don't think that I asked what it was.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.