Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManagement[email protected]

    shoulder and neckpain
    An_251696 posted:
    I have shoulder and neck pain, to the point I can't sleep at night and I take a muscle relaxer. I can't seem to get get my neck comfortable. The other problem that is really bothering me is I get this tingling and numbness in my left arm. I had a disc out of place and it caused the same problem. My doctor is sending me for steroid shots. When I had the disc problem they gave me Hydrocodone and it really helped. It still took 3 months to heal completely. I have been told I have chronic pain. Is it normal? to have the numbness tingling from my should to the tips of my fingers? I would really appreciate an answer. Thank you. Peggy Gelder
    77grace responded:
    Hi Peggy,
    Of course it's not normal to have any tingeling in your arms or hands or anywhere for that matter!It sounds like anerve problem to me and I have pain from nerve stuf so I know!
    I think you need to see a specialist ,maybe a nuerolgist and let them know what's up!
    I understand about Pai waking you up too,Latley for me it's my left foot about 3 or 4 in the morning my heel hurts really bad so I know how difficult you must feel!
    Go see a Doctor!
    Let us know how you are doing?
    dfromspencer responded:
    Hi Peggy,

    NO!!! It is not normal!!! Pain and tingling in your left arm could possibly indicate a heart attack? Since you mentioned a disc, I will go with nerve damage. I have severe nerve damage on my whole right side, mostly in my R.Arm. So, again, not normal.

    Like Grace said, you need to see a neurologist, and have him evaluate you. That would be your best bet. Then, if he finds you are a chronic pain patient, he can set you up with a Pain Mgmt. pec. for any further treatment, or meds you may need.

    Hope this helps, and please keep us informed!!!

    dfromspencer replied to dfromspencer's response:
    Sorry, the second paragraph has a mistake. It should read "Specialist" not pec.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.