Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    back pain
    An_253762 posted:
    hi i been having back pain for about 3 months now. and i'm 18 yrs old. well i went with a back pain specialist and he said that based on what i told him my lower back disc had fallen out, but i never had and MRI or anything to prove it. Anyways he went ahead and crack my back to fix it and well my back did get better within a week, so i thought i was good. But the pain began again, not as bad as it was, but now all of a sudden my hips feel tingly and it goes all the way to my thighs. I don't know whats wrong. I cant take an MRI because i cant afford one, but if you know what it could be based on how i feel please tell me. Thank you.
    _swank_ responded:
    Was the specialist a chiropractor? If so then he is not a medical doctor and you should stay far away until you find out what's wrong with your back. A real specialist would not use the term "your disc has fallen out". Discs don't fall out. A chiropractor will tell you to go back again and again to get your back cracked. Your money is better spent seeing an orthopedic doctor that specializes in backs, or a neurosurgeon. At the very least, see your family doctor so s/he can order an MRI and x-ray.
    ctbeth replied to _swank_'s response:
    I'm thinking the same as Swank

    What kind of authentic medical doctor would "crack" the back of a patient who is complaining of lower back pain?

    Chiropractors only diagnostic tool is X-ray. Many soft tissue disc problems are not properly diagnosed with X-ray.

    Also, discs do. To "fall out"

    If the person is going to a chiropractor for, well, anything, he has probably gotten the diagnosis of "Subluxation". That is the only diagnosis that chiros give to everyone.

    Please! Stay away from chiropractors!!
    77grace responded:
    Hi ,
    I am sorry that you are suffering with Back pain so young !I agre with the other Ladies !Also For the future you may need an Mri first ,but you should get xrays !
    Take care, 77grace
    snow_white replied to _swank_'s response:
    Thank you so much!!
    snow_white replied to ctbeth's response:
    Thanks for all the help!

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.