Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/pain-management/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

New Prescribing Guidelines For Opiates & Treating Chronic Pain 2016
    blessedladyptl posted:
    National Pain Strategyhttp://iprcc.nih.gov/docs/HHSNational_Pain_Strategy.pdf

CDC Guidelines For Prescribing Opiates For Chronic Pain 2016-
    http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/rr/rr6501e1.htm

arbez responded:
    I am personally writing to the CDC to explain the harm their new guidelines may cause.

Docs are cautious enough without this new ruling.

It would be one thing if people who are actually suffering were treated properly. But I've seen instance after instance of people who are suffering and turning to street drugs, alcohol, etc. because they are not having their pain managed properly. What is the ridiculous statistic of people who overdose each year from narcotics? I wonder how many people become addicted to street drugs or alcohol or overdose on these because their complaints of pain go unheard? Wonder what the suicide rate is for people with chronic or untreated pain?

An_260948 replied to arbez's response:
    get used to it. The goal is to have narcotics prescribe at the end of life. As long as kids steal them from their folks and die form it things will get works. Everyone pain sufferer who use them is addicted. You can't live without that is the most basic meaning of addiction. I take mine everyday and wish I did not need them.

blessedladyptl replied to arbez's response:
    arbez, did you comment during the public comment period on the CDC Guidelines that ended Jan 13, 2016 ? Writing to the CDC now is like closing the gate after the horse gets out
    There were 4.373 comments and the overwheling majority were in favor of the guidelines with many wanting them to be stronger.

20yearsufferer replied to arbez's response:
    Excellent questions that are never addressed in anything I've ever seen. Not just no statistics or hard data, not just no discussions, but zero mention period. Not a single word.

Last week my mom had to drive me to my pain mgmt appt because I was in so much pain due to running out of meds. I ran out because of all of the changes the Feds, NY State, and the insurance companies have made to prescribing rules & regs, and wasn't going to keep bothering my doc out of fear of losing the doc and not being able to find another, which is not just a possibility but highly probable these days. I'd be dead without these meds to control my severe pain. My mom is so frustrated with seeing me in severe pain, including a large portion of the last 2 months due to the rules & regs, that she got into a very heated, passionate mostly one-way discussion with the doctor where she brought up these questions/points.

I strongly believe it's my responsibility, as well as the responsibility of anyone else who requires these meds to live and/or give us any quality of life and not as an end of life and/or compassionate need, to make our voices heard that we need these meds to treat our very painful conditions. Nobody is going to speak up for us, or even if they do, won't be the passionate advocates for us that we can be ourselves.

Along those lines, I strongly believe these revised recommendations aren't being billed as what they truly are:
    Recommendations for the treatment of people with addictions to opioid medications, and NOT recommendations for the treatment of people who are dependent on them for chronic pain either as end of life treatment or for conditions that aren't treatable via other methods.

If you haven't done so, READ the document! It introduces an acronym very early on to describe addiction treatment docs/clinics/centers and then uses that acronym for the rest of the document to describe everything in the document. It also has recommendations ONLY and does not have any rules or regs. However, very unfortunately, it's being billed as rules & regs by the media, and being billed as applicable to all opioid prescribing, to the point I'm sure all those people against any prescribing of the meds to people who need them for anything other than end of life treatment will (continue to) cite it as exactly that:
    Rules & Regulations for Prescribing Opioid Medications

Hopefully this difference / distinction is very clear to people here! I'll say it again: It's not a blanket document as that title would suggest. It's meant as a recommendation for drug addicts only, not for medication dependent patients. All of us who want these medications to remain available, to those of us that need them, need to make sure everyone understands its target audience.

An_260948 replied to 20yearsufferer's response:
    You need to find other ways for pain management. Narcotics are out. I have been on them for over 40 years. I now have major health issues because of their use. I did not abuse them. The fact that you always need stronger doses should tell you something. If you are out you are suffering from withdrawal. sounds like you should check into a rehab!!

blessedladyptl replied to 20yearsufferer's response:
    20yearssufferer, these Guidelines are for those with acute and chronic pain. They are not for addicts with chronic pain. Even though the documents mention treating addicts with chronic pain, it is nearly impossible, if not impossible, to find any dr that will manage a drug addicts chronic pain with any type of opiate.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.