Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/pain-management/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Chronic pain
    An_267592 posted:
    What is my problem? I have had 3 herniated discs in my lumbar, degenerative disc disease top to bottom, arthritis on both sides of my spine, fibro myalgia, and another disc going bad in my neck. I was injured in 1991 during the Gulf War and suffer from some if the Gulf War syndrom. I injured my back in service again in 1999. Both times I returned to duty until I was discharged for medical reasons after 13 years. In January of 02, after the discs completely herniated, and I developed permanent nerve damage, all my troubles began. I tried various drugs and treatments over the years, Lyrica, Gabapentin, you name it. My pain issues were successfully controlled for several years with oxycodone 5/365 4 times a day. After it got a little worse, the Dr. Added methadone 5mg 3 times a day. I got up at 6 am, found things I could do in my workshop or around home that I could do and enjoyed doing. Coached baseball for the kids, went on trips, and had what I think is as close to a normal life as possible. Then my VA doctor took me off the oxycodone zap, like that. That was over a year ago and my life seems to have spiraled into the toilet. I don't get out of bed till 8 or 9, lay on the couch most of the day. Hardly sleep at night. Every joint hurts and my back and sciatic nerve make me nearly want to scream at times. I don't remember tell last time I had a real nights sleep and I can't find anything I feel like doing. The VA continues to provide the methadone, but it hardly helps. The last time I went to their pain management, I had been up all night the night before vomiting from pain spasms. All the Dr. said was that I should try and not think about how much it hurts, and magically it will get better I guess.
    Am I just an addict, or do I have genuine problems? I try and read, listen to music or a movie, or anything not to think about the pain, but there is really pain there. On their scale of 1 to 10, most days are above 7, some are at least a 10 judging by my vomiting and want g to scream. Should I try and find a pain clinic outside the VA or just live with it and hope it gets better? Sometimes I really do wonder if it's just the pills I want, but I never got high or euphoric. Something to do with my metabolism or something. They told me once it took 2 to 3 times the anesthesia of a normal person to just make me drowsey. I never did any kind of drugs when I was growing up. Drank enough beer to fill a mole hole, but not even that for years. What should I do?

sing4kristen responded:
    I feel your pain. I am a recent victim of the state of California's decision that opiates do not help if they are given long term. They decided that opiates should only be given for a maximum of 3 months. I too want to know, does that mean the chronic pain from our illness will go away? There is NO LITERATURE that says that after 3 months of opiate pain meds, the pain will be gone, they are simply saying they don't believe its effective any longer. I am at a loss. If the pain is there in the first place and they give you meds, the problem isn't curable, correctable, and they have no way to circumvent the pain after 3 months, what the hell are they doing? I had a what I would call "quality of life". That's the key phrase here my friend. If you are not experience the "quality of life" you know you are capable of having given your issues, fight like hell to find a person, place or thing that can restore it. It is our right to not be miserable if it can be helped. I no longer can get out of bed each day. Some days I can, most I can't. Mine was not an accident or an incident that caused my issues. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthirtis, degenerative disc disease of cervical and lumbar spine, just for kicks I have developed a wicked case of scoliosis that is making my spine look like the road in the game CandyLand. I now have adult onset asthma, I have pain every day all the time. It took a long, long time to find a cocktail that didn't make me comatose, made my life as livable as possible, and could manage my pain with in reason. I didn't ask for an early refill, run out of meds, have any isssues at all or a change in my pain meds for over 8 years. Everything was working fine. My doctors and I would try new drugs to help with my illnesses, unfortunately I have been unresponsive to them. But we keep trying. I am not just sitting on my behind popping pain meds. I am always on some kind of treatment medication. And then what cracks me up is that they want me to take 3600 mg of gabapentin for pain instead of my morphine. I took 1/4 of the recommended dose and I was absolutely drunk as a skunk. Slurring my words, staggering. And they want me to take this instead of morphine??? I NEVER was impaired while taking morphine. Who is driving this bus anyway? I tell you what my friend, we are going to have to find a way to get the keys to that bus or we will have NO quality of life at all anymore. My prayers are with you and all who are going through this cruel ordeal.

Anon_501 replied to sing4kristen's response:
    http://exchanges.webmd.com/fibromyalgia-exchange

janienclose replied to Anon_501's response:
    http://buylortabonline.net

janienclose responded:
    Chronic pains can force people to take immaculate steps. So be careful and don't use anything wrong because Lortab can treat all your pain within no time.
    Order Lortab

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

neck/skull pain
    I have exactly the same pain problem from the sound of it. Does it feel like a hot slicing pain in the neck and an irritated nerve running ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.