Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/pain-management/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManag[email protected]

Withdrawals are overrated.
    annette030 posted:
    My hubby and I went off of methadone and methadone and oxycodone respectively, we never experienced them.

Take care, Annette

An_260948 responded:
    Of course stepping down is the best way to avoid withdrawal. if you were taking large doses and quit cold turkey you will go into withdrawal. Surprised that a nurse does not know that

annette030 replied to An_260948's response:
    I believed that to be true, I thought my husband was an exception to the rule, until I quit also. I also quit Ambien. The "large dose" comment is relative, what do you mean?

Take care, Annette

An_260948 replied to annette030's response:
    funny you posted hown much you cut back each week no you try and makes sound like you just quit what bull

annette030 replied to An_260948's response:
    I never said I quit cold, I said withdrawals are overrated. People act like they will go through them every time they even lower their dose. Not true.

blessedladyptl replied to annette030's response:
    annette, I agree with you. A lot of it is due to what people read and see on tv/movies and believe. These sources are Not Medically Factual. A lot of what people think are withdrawals are from the stress their fear brings on.

Some chronic pain patients that have their meds reduced, think that if they tell their dr they are going into withdrawals that they will go back to the previous dose. This is rarely true and can often back fire. Many chronic pain patients say their dr never informed them that the meds could be addicting. The majority, if not all, pain contracts state that the patient might or will become addicted to meds prescribed. The prescription info and/or bottle from the pharmacy also state the medications can cause addiction. Patients accept this when they accept the prescriptions, get them filled and take them. Patients complaining to drs about physical addiction is one of the reasons that drs are decreasing pain meds and are hesitant to prescribe them.

There is a difference in Psychological Addiction and Physical Dependency. The higher the dose the more likely it is the patient will experience physical withdrawals and possibly psychological withdrawals. But, the physical withdrawals are rarely, if ever severe as long as the patient reduces the med by decreasing the dosage.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

neck/skull pain
    I have exactly the same pain problem from the sound of it. Does it feel like a hot slicing pain in the neck and an irritated nerve running ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.