Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/parenting/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
    Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Swollen face
    earleyml1012 posted:
    Yesterday when I picked DD up from daycare her face looked like she had a double chin. All night I couldn't help staring at her b/c she just looked so different. DH thought she might've gained weight b/c she was eating more than normal over the weekend. To me that didn't sound right b/c all of her clothes still fit the same and why would she just gain weight in her face? Literally she looked like she had a double chin. Anyway, this morning her daycare teacher asked me if I noticed it yesterday. She thinks that DD might be having a difficult time teething b/c she's been drooling like crazy (goes through about 5 bibs during the day). Plus she's been drooling like this since the end of December and none of her other teeth have caused this much problems. She's working on the cainines. So my question is, has anyone ever had a child that had a hard time teething? Did their face swell up? Did you have to seek outside help for the teeth to come through? She goes on Monday for her 15 month appointment, so I plan on talking to the pedi then if the teeth still haven't come through. I just feel so bad for her b/c I hear her cry out during the night in pain.

earleyml1012 responded:
    Bump.

Any thoughts on this?

kristinrayerootes responded:
    Sorry, I don't have any experience with this. You could always try calling the pedi's office to see if they have any advice for you or want to see her sooner than next week.

ariannasmommy1125 responded:
    I think it could be swollen from teething, but a lot of times swelling in the face can indicate an allergy. Did she have anything different to eat or drink? My DD has had some tough teething episodes with drooling but I have never noticed her face being swollen.

mamatobe08 replied to ariannasmommy1125's response:
    I would lean more towards an allergy as well.

ajs0924 responded:
    I guess I would lean toward an allergy too but you never know. I've discovered teething causes a lot of weird stuff to go on so it really could be that too.

Is she still swollen this morning? I would guess if it was an allergy from something she ate yesterday it would be gone by the morning but I don't have a lot of experience with allergy reactions.

Sorry I guess I'm not really much help.

earleyml1012 replied to ajs0924's response:
    She is still a little swollen this morning. Yesterday she didn't eat anything unusual. She goes to a center and they do a 4 week rotation of menus, so she's had all of the foods before. I guess I'll just wait it out for a few more days to see if it gets worse before I call the doctor. She's not having any difficulities breathing and she's been acting like herself, except crying out at night while sleeping.

Larich_408 replied to earleyml1012's response:
    A few weeks ago DS' face was totally swollen! And yes he did look like he had a double chin. He was/ is cutting all 4 canines as well as the top 2-year molars. Now that his bottom canines are in and the top ones have pretty much come down his face isn't as swollen anymore.

That doesn't seem like an allergic reaction to me. DS is allergic to eggs and peanut butter and his face never swelled up like that. He would get a rash on his lips and around his mouth and face. His lips would get swollen but never his whole face. I know you CAN swell up like that with an allergy but I'm just saying I doubt that's the reason why she's swollen. Did u check her tongue? If her tongue is swollen then it could be an allergy.

I would assume the swelling is due to her teething.

earleyml1012 replied to Larich_408's response:
    I'm glad to hear that another child had some swelling from teeth, not that it's good just makes me feel better. I called the pedi yesterday and they had be freaked out thinking it was her tonsils but she hasn't had any fevers, still eating normal and isn't too fussy. The pedi said he never heard of swelling due to teething but my child has to be "special." LOL! Last night she was fussy but as soon as I gave her teething tablets she was perfectly fine. This morning her face was much less swollen, so I'm hoping those teeth will finally come through. She's been working on them since the end of Dec/early Jan!!!

harley918 responded:
    See im having the same issue with my son, so i googled swollen cheeks while teething, and came upon this. Hes only three and a half months and his molars first and the same side that theyre coming in, his cheek is all kins of pink and puffy. Even hours after he stops laying on that side. Im just trying to figure out how normal this is.

mathewsjacob replied to harley918's response:
    My son is having swelling and mild fever, and wanted to know if it is related to teething, please advice

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Sarah. I live in Surprise, Arizona. My husband and I have been married for 2 years and have a beautiful baby girl Stella.

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
    Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
    Was this Helpful?
    25 of 51 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.