Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/parenting/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
    Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

wanting to break my DD of Co-sleeping.. help!!
    nreyn3 posted:
    So my DH brought our DD to our bed when she was about 7 months old, and now at 14 months I want to be able to put her down in her crib in her room, and get a good nights sleep. I'm 28 weeks and sleep has become difficult, with getting up to pee all night, and all the tossing and turning trying to get comfortable.

I want to get her into her room, because she's definitly old enough for me to be comfortable with it, and my DS (due June 25) will be in our room in his cradle for the first few months. I don't think I can handle two children waking each other up all night every night.

I've looked into the feber method, but I worry that she will get too angry to put herself to sleep. She gets very angry sometimes, like when we tell her no she can't stay outside or go up the stairs, to the point she will scream with no sound coming out, which makes her turn a creepy shade of purple.

I have tried putting her in her crib in our room, but all she does is look at us and scream. I think that it would be easier on her if we weren't in the room. Most nights she falls asleep on her own, laying between us not touching, just while I sing to her. So i know she can put herself to sleep! Some nights, like when shes sick she wants held, but the minute I go to put her in her crib sahe wakes up. During nap times she wants held, same scenario the minute she is attempted to be put down, regardless of if it's my MIL, DH, or myself, she wakes right up.

ANY SUGGESTIONS would be greatly appreciated!! please help!!

Worriedparent11 responded:
    Co-sleeping isn't a bad thing, but you run the risk that they get used to it. Kids are smart, and if they scream their head off and you respond then they will continue to do it. If you can stand the screaming for 10 minutes they will scream for 15 minutes. Our son did this, and we never co-slept with him, but he did sleep in our room in his bed for the first 7 months of his life.

It's tuff making the transition but we finally just let him cry it out. The first couple of weeks were TUFF. Its hard to listen to them scream, wanting the comfort that you can provide, but you have to remember its far different to let them cry to teach them to be somewhat independent, rather than letting them cry and you not caring. The people who protest against cry it out methods will probably respond that I am a cruel parent, but our son now can put himself to sleep, doesn't need us to put himself back to sleep in the middle of the night, and, at 12 months, he sleeps through the night now.

Let her cry it out. It's going to be a hard road but it does work. She will eventually understand and sleep in her own room and you can get the sleep you need/deserve.

The older she gets the harder its going to be. Start now and stick to it. If it gets to hard, talk to your pediatrician for help, they have some good advice for parents that are in your situation.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am an RN and a mother to a wonderful DD who is now 20mos old! She has grown so fast! Last check she was 29.4 lbs and 35 inches tall! She is mama and...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
    I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    32 of 43 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.