Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/parenting/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Low HGB and HCT (anemia) on 2 year old routine lab work and starting iron
    island_baby posted:
    My 2.5 year old boy has mild anemia. The blood count of his HGB and HCT was a few points below. We tried to push iron rich foods and drw the blood again and it actually fell a couple points lower. I saw 2 different ped's and they recommended 2 ways to go about this: Ist way: if he is not a picky eater, then keep psuhing iron rich diet and draw blood again in a few months or start iron supplement along with iron rich diet and see if this helps after a month and maybe continue iron supplement for a few months and then get off the iron.

We are starting the iron, beause he has just started to get picky and I don't want to be nervous (which makes him nervous) about him eating all his food groups at 2 years old. It would make me a complete nervous wreck thinking about it all the time.

With all this being said, has anyone ever had to give a 2 year old or older child iron? Did it help? Was it bad on stomach,constipation?

We are giving it with apple juice (a little) and then brushing teeth after, so it does not stain teeth.

The other problem we are having, which i think is the reason of his low iron stores, is loose bowels. Meaning, he never really had formed stools ever in his 2. 5 years of life. WE are on a dairy free diet for amost 2 weeks and it sems to not be helping, but we started iron too, so not sure if that is causing him to be loose too. THey say (DOC) iron can cause constipation and/or loose stools. Any ideas on loose stools in a 2 year old?

thank you all so much.

Helpful Tips

2 1/2 yr old Will Not Eat Regular Food
    My 2 1/2 yr old grandson will not eat regular food for lunch or diner. He only wants baby food. We have tried puree the food, putting it in ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 19 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.