Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/parenting/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Sleep Problems
    smithc27 posted:
    Our daughter is 2.5 years old. We have been fighting sleep issues (regression?) with her every night for about 2 months. She doesn't want to go to sleep at first, but after about 20-30 minutes she's out... for a while. Then, sometime in the 1am - 3am hours, she will wake up and make her way (near silently) downstairs and to our bedroom. She doesn't cry out, and doesn't want to climb into bed with us; she wants US to go lay down in HER room. We (one or the other of us) have to stay with her until she goes back to sleep, which only happens if we too lay down, about another 20-30 minutes.

She has two small night lights, and a lamp illuminates the next bedroom and the hallway to downstairs, so we have mostly ruled out being afraid of the dark. She has a snack or drink of milk before bed, so I wouldn't think it's because of hungry of thirsty. I believe if she was not able to come down the stairs, she would eventually go back to bed and sleep (she's done it at naptime). But I don't have any real way of keeping her upstairs (locking the door is obviously a safety issue, not an option), and she's a skilled climber, so a baby gate in her bedroom door would be pointless.

I get up around 5am each morning for work, which is early enough without night time wakings. Plus, we are expecting Baby #2 in February, so these middle of the night adventures really need to stop. Advice and/or sleep training plans are welcome! TIA

mommyin2011 responded:
    all i can think of is she just wants you next to her as she sleeps. maybe she knows that there is another baby on the way (congrats!!) and she is wanting more attention.

hope it gets better by the time baby is here!
    DS 7/31/11 DD 7/18/12 DS 1/26/14

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am Susan, mommy to beautiful boy/girl twins Matthew and Alexis, born 6/9/09 and handsome Austin born 5/04/07. My DH and I have been married since Ju...More

Helpful Tips

Milk
    Has your little one decided to boycott milk? If so, dont "sugar coat" it with strawberry or chocolate. Try adding a small amount of vanilla ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    15 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.