Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/parenting/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Dentist-Cross bite
    NiceCalves posted:
    Hailey had her first dentist appt on Friday. She actually did wonderful! I was sooo happy and relieved! (this is the child who hates to brush her teeth). They said her teeth looked great and were very happy to see that I was giving her flouride!

Anyway, both the hygentist and the dentist said that she has a "cross-bite". The dentist asked me if it ran in the family (which it doesn't) and he asked if she sucked on a pacifier for a long time...which I replied "she never took a paci".

I asked him what that meant and he said that once her permanent teeth come in, we will deal with it then. And when I asked what that may intail, he said "maybe braces, maybe breaking her jaw" (which he then said they don't usually have to go to those extremes anymore). And then he went on to explain a little about different techniques in general and once again reassured me that I need not worry about it at this time.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject, or know of anyone who has had a cross bite? I assume that I will have to wait until her permanent teeth come in, but I just wanted to check with you guys!!

Thanks for listening!

Tricia1166 responded:
    Lurking here -- I don't have any advice, but wanted to say that my dentist said the same thing about my DS (who is 7). At his appt this summer, he showed it to me (I always noticed that he did that when he smiled, but I did not realize what it was). The dentist said I might want to "establish a relationship" with an orthodontist! I was like, what does that mean, LOL? DS actually has not lost a single tooth yet, and the dentist said until his permanent teeth start coming in there is nothing to do except wait and see how they develop. But once they do start coming in, if it looks like the crossbite is still there then I should take DS to an orthodontist even before all the permanent teeth come in. (He did not mention the breaking the jaw option -- yikes!) So far, DD does not seem to have the same crossbite.

NiceCalves responded:
    Thanks for sharing what you know, Tricia. The dentist also said that they (orthodontists) can put a "plate" on the roof of the mouth and you turn the "knob" on the plate every day to actually "stretch" the upper jaw. (that sounds painful, too, but he said it isn't that bad). I hope/ pray that her permanent teeth come in ok, but the way it sounds, it is more in the jaw structure than in the teeth themselves, what do you think?

jandtheboys responded:
    Hi! I usually lurk more than write here, but I have first-hand experience and advice with this issue. Hope you don't mind! First, a question for you.... did you see a Pediatric Dentist? Or a regular family-type dentist? If not a pediatric one, you may want to consider making an appt with a pediatric dentist to get a second opinion.

My DS#1 had a cross-bite. I noticed it when he was about 3, and never really thought it was an issue (thought maybe it was something he would outgrow or whatever). But, we saw a pediatric dentist for his regular checks and such and found out that they CAN do something about this, and sometimes early therapy can be best. It doesn't run in our family, and DS#1 didn't have a pacifier very long either, but he did have a cross-bite that they showed me would inhibit regular development of his muscles and features of his face if left alone until his permanent teeth arrived. The treatments are much more severe if you wait too long (breaking of the jaw, etc). The dentist expained to us that until you reach about age 7 or 8 years old, the upper palate is more like cartilage than bone. Being soft still it is much more pliable and treatment is not painful until it starts to harden.

We started treatment around age 4. They actually told me if they could correct the crossbite early enough, it would help the permanent teeth come in better when the time came. We started with the "plate" that you mentioned. We turned the knob (I called it a crank) when instructed. It was actually not at all painful for my son. It was like having a permanent retainer in his mouth, and the cranking was so minimal that he never felt it at all. We made a game out of it, and he was given a water pik to help with cleaning (which he LOVED!). We had to stay away from certain foods--popcorn and fruit snacks--anything too crunchy or sticky. But that also was not a problem. He had the plate for approximately 4 months, and in that time, the upper jaw was widened enough to correct the cross bite issue entirely (it was amazing!). Then, they put braces on the front teeth, upper and lower, and moved the teeth around to fill the gaps that were created. He had braces for 3 months only, and again, no issues at all. His friends in preschool thought it was really cool. LOL Now, he is 6 1/2 years old, and still wears permanent upper and lower retainers (to hold his teeth in place as he loses the baby teeth and the permanent ones make their way in. It has really helped his permanent teeth come in, and straighten in their proper places. I have been glad that we did all the work we did early because I feel that it was good for the permanent teeth, plus the entire process was much easier on a 4-5 year old than it would be later--cleaning, eating properly, etc.

I know I rambled quite a bit, but it has been a positive experience for us. If you have any questions at all, just ask away. I will check back. Thanks!!! Julie

aimtall responded:
    I would see what they say at her next appt as well and perhaps see another pediatric dentist for another opinion as well.

My take on it as this young age is that there are some "best guesses" going on...as DS has been to the pediatric dentist 3 times already - every six months from when he was 2. This last time she told me that she thought his big teeth would come in behind the baby teeth. Very odd, IMHO. Neither DH or I had anything like that. Granted, DS has crowded teeth - so did I. I had a total of 8 teeth pulled...4 for braces at age maybe 11 or 12, then my wisdom teeth early 20s. I suspect DS will need braces, no big surprise there. And he does have a pretty good gap (cross bite, I don't recall her using those words) due to using the pacifier until he was 2. But that his teeth will grow behind the others seem like a "guess" to me...

See how her little mouth grows between now and her next appt...

NiceCalves responded:
    Julie, thanks for "lurking" at the right time The dentist isn't a pediatric dentist per say. Thanks for your information and your first hand experience!

I was just shocked that it would be an issue, but since he brought it up, I have checked out a few websites on what happens if you don't have it taken care of. I'm not sure if we will opt for the "toddler approach" or if we will wait until her permanent teeth come in and take it from there. The dentist did say that the roof of a child's mouth is much more pliable and has like a "suture" across the roof of the mouth that doesn't harden until the late teen years. (He said it is similar to a baby's head and their soft spot as the baby grows).

Thanks a lot for your input. I may have to "find" you later on!!

shalinic responded:
    I have a 2yr 10mths old daughter. She has this crossbite where her upper jaw is behind lower jaw. Her ped dentist has prescribed a chin strap ( piece of cloth that goes around her chin and behind her head) which she should wear for 6 months. Upon which her jaw will correct with out a surgery. But the problem is she doesnt want to wear it.I fear that she will have to undergo surgery if this doentnt work.

MsJaneDoe replied to shalinic's response:
    No one wants to treat my 4 year old until permanent teeth. Can anyone recommend us a Dr. in the Ft. Lauderdale area who will?

Spotlight: Member Stories

my two years six months old baby has refused potty training. she prepfers to wee on the carpet, bed or any where apart from her potty. what do i do to...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
    If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    20 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.