Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/parenting/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

No Sleep and Clingy
    arod00195 posted:
    We have a 9 month old to which we are trying the Faber's, "Crying It Out Method." My wife and I have both noticed that when we put her down for her daily naps, she becomes so clingy and doesn't want to stay in her crib. She will wake up and not fall asleep. On top of that, we have been doing the Faber CIO Method for 5 nights in a row; and I don't know if we have given it enough time or not, but she seems to cry out more than before and longer than before. Does anyone have any suggestions?

kelseykelsey responded:
    I hope that you have found an answer for your little one. I suggest not making her cry it out at all. babies cry because they have a physical or emotional need that needs to be filled. yes, they could be hungry, thirsty or just overly tired, but they also may simply need to be reassured that they are not alone and that it is safe for them to fall asleep.
    reassurance that you are there is important not only for temporarily filling her needs, but also in the long run will help her to become more independent by knowing that if she needs you, you will be there.
    the cry it out method is outdated and although it may work for a short period of time, will only cause her non-sleep issues to resurface if any changes in her normal habits occur.
    get her on a schedule of bath, reading then bedtime so that she begins to know what to expect at night because at this point it is the only way to "tell" her it's time for sleep. of course she will always have an alteration in her sleep schedule if she is sick or having a growth spurt etc.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey there! My name is Mandi, I'm 28 years old and just had my first baby girl on November 13th 2009. We live in Western Maryland in a small town....More

Helpful Tips

My 9 Month old doesnt have a BM in 2 weeks
    have a 9 month old who doesnt poop every day or every other day most of the time its only once a week but there are times where he goes 2 ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 3 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.