Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/parenting/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

9 year old - Disturbing behavior
    mikeanderica03 posted:
    This is my first time trying this but here goes... For the last 6 months my daughter has been acting out in a disturbing way. My wife stays at home with both kids while I work away from home for long stretches. I returned home recently to find that my daughter can only express what she wants by crying. It could be a question about anything....it results in crying. Also, she says that she has these "thoughts" about Mommy and the family and she can't get them out of her head. For example - she wishes Mommy was dead, that she had a different family, hates her house, hates her life. My wife devotes herself to our children and they want for nothing. She is a good student (despite the morning ritual of trying to get out of going to school by crying and expressing these horrible thoughts) and also is a talented athlete. On top of this I am worried about my wife. We are going to seek out some professional help but I wanted to see if anyone had experienced anything like this before.

momuv4girls responded:
    Hi Mike,

I urge you to seek out a well respected, smart Child Psychologist to evaluate your daughter. Her behavior(s) sound concerning to me and I believe you're right to be worried.

This doesn't sound like "typical" 9-year old behavior. The early stages of puberty can often be the onset of mood disorders (depression, anxiety etc..) due to the hormonal shifts that go on.

You could ask your daughters family Dr. for recommendations, and/or do your own research for a Child Psychologist. Also, if you live in an area where there is a teaching hospital, I would encourage you to look there for help also.
    Here is a list of teaching hospitals in the U.S.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Teaching_hospitals_in_the_United_States

Take care, and write back anytime, I'm happy to help with ideas and suggestions.
    -Kathleen

mikeanderica03 replied to momuv4girls's response:
    We have an appointment with a child psychologist that was recommended by a friend for next Friday. She is meeting with us on Friday of this week.

momuv4girls replied to mikeanderica03's response:
    That's great and a step in the right direction.

My youngest was 7 when we first sought out help and while it can be overwhelming, finding answers and getting proper treatment is most important.

I hope your meeting on Friday goes well!
    Take care,
    -Kathleen

karma3p80 responded:
    I agree with all replies. Seeing a doctor is the best step and this age can be very confusing for kids with hormones and development. I began a long journey at this age with an anxiety disorder and went years (til I was 23 to be exact) without treatment. It's a good thing that your daughter is being honest with you about her feelings. She probably doesn't want to feel this way but can't help the thoughts. Can you post an update?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I am a mom of 4-daughters. My youngest daughter was dx at age 6 with ODD (oppositional defiant disorder), then eventually EOBP (early on-set bipo...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
    Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    15 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.