Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/parenting/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Allowing a sleepover with my sister and sister's boyfriend
    Lilakins posted:
    I was offered as a very sweet gesture by my sister to help me with my two kids (during a very stressful time in my life) to go have a sleepover at their house. They have been out with them for a afternoon before. The relationship between my sister and her boyfriend is not yet committed or stable, she does not seem to know if it will last. He has issues with insecurity and jealousy and they have been fighting a lot. Despite this, he has his good points and is caring and helpful and so forth. I have spent time with him about 3 times and do not have much of a relationship with him. I said no to her offer on a group whatsapp chat that we have with my mother and sister as thats where the offer was made, I may have not explained myself well enough and said we were not comfortable with it yet as we didn't know him well enough but also referenced an article that I had posted onto Facebook with regards to Paedophiles and how most often it is someone the child knows, like an uncle or family friend... I perhaps needed to not reference that, but to simply say we have a rule that the kids can't sleep out until we know someone well and have a good relationship.

I then received a barage of messages from my mother, they feel I have insulted this boyfriend and hurt her to the detriment of our relationship. That I read to much and being overly protective. It has turned into a massive fight. Am I being over protective and insulting? In this day and age of social media am I reading too much and allowing fears to escalate unnecessarily?

Thank you for your advice

Lisa

tlkittycat1968 responded:
    While I agree referencing the article may have been a bit much, I agree with your stance that you don't allow your kids to stay with someone you don't know well.
    Pround mommy to PJ (7) and Kylee (5).

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have a DD who is now 19 (living at home - no job - no extra school(yet) - due to lack of transportation and living in a small town) She has had ADHD...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
    Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    15 of 24 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.