Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/parenting/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

gastroenteritis
    Michelle53027 posted:
    My son started with vomitting and then added diarrhea. The diarrhea has lasted for over a week now and sometimes appears to be improving. He also is complaining of a dull stomachache above his belly button. Other than hydration, what should he be eating? I've heard: let him eat normally, it's ok to eat yogurt/drinkmilk, don't eat dairy, BRAT diet, etc...... When can he go back to school? Should I keep him home from family get-togethers?

mariaf311 responded:
    Dairy would make things worse. If he's had diarrhea for over a week, has he been to the DR? 3 days is too long.

60905heidi responded:
    Get him to the dr. A week is too long to have any stomach thing...you need to watch out for dehydration..kids dehydrate much quicker than we do. Dairy tends to make things worse, you need to be giving him pedialyte for all of the fluids he has lost with the vomiting and diarrhea. Is there any blood in either? Sometimes there can be a bacterial infection going on...there are many types of bacteria that cause it adn they will have to check a sample to culture to find out what could be causing it. If nothing is found..they would then call is gastroenteritis.

Dr__Parker responded:
    I disagree with the other comments. Turns out that a BRAT diet isn't especially helpful and that with a regualar diet, even if there is a bit more diarrhea, there is also more nutrition in what is eaten and that helps the diarrhea to resolve. So I think a regular diet at this stage with plenty of fluids is fine. Re: back to school. Generally i like to wait untilt the diarrhea has resolved but sometimes it lasts for a week or two and that is impractical. Just be sure his school practices good infection control policies (especially hand-washing).

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
    I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.