Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Includes Expert Content
    LaughingReindeer93 posted:
    Hi, I am 14 years old and I'm only 5'4". I'm really concerned about my height because everyone of my dad's kin is short, and so is he (5'5"). I have known that height mostly depends on DNA, so do you think that I have some chance to reach 5'6" or even 5'7", as my mom is 5'8" tall? I have also heard that girls can grow until 16 or 17, is this true?
    cshyronia responded:
    yes girls can grow til 18 boys 21. Im 5'2 stopped growing at 12. My dad was 6'1 and mom is 5'4 nothing wrong with being short.
    Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
    Girls stop growing at the end of puberty, usually within 6 months of their first menstrual period.

    Your height at 5'4" is exactly what would be predicted from your parent's heights, and it's a perfectly respectable, normal height for a woman. You may want to ask yourself why you're so concerned about your height. Do you think your life would be very different in the long run if you were a few inches taller? Why? Perhaps there are things you can do to reach your goals, even at your current height.

    Best of luck-

    Helpful Tips

    Son Peeing
    I have a suggestion for the parents with the boy that is peeing in the house. Maybe he needs the "freedom" of peeing. I would let him go ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

    Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.