Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    MMR Shots
    An_250415 posted:
    My friend has received MMR & Varicella Vaccines when she was young in S. Korea. However, she doesn't have the records of those shots. Now that she in in the US applying for immigration, she is required to have those shots. What does she need to do? Is it safe to get those shots again in her late 30's?
    Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
    She's in her late 30's now-- she almost certainly did NOT get varicella vaccine as a girl, it wasn't widely available 25-30 years ago. She may well have gotten the MMR vaccine, or may have gotten partial versions of it.
    She needs to get these shots to protect her and to protect our communities.

    They're safe for adults. Do you think they would be suggested if they were not safe?

    Fear the diseases, not the vaccines.

    Helpful Tips

    Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
    I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    17 of 26 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

    Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.