Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/brain-nervous-system-disorder/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

DBS Questions
    An_265288 posted:
    Hi

I am 55 years old and have lived with PD for 8 years. Two years ago my neurologist recommended i consider DBS. I did some homework, and decided to give it a go. I decided to do my right brain first because my left side has the worst symptoms. It went extremely well.

So naturally I proceeded to try it on my left brain. Unfortunately the results were vastly different.

The DBS put in my left brain became infected (Propionibacterium) and after a few weeks the abscess gave me two grand mal seizures. The device had to be emergently removed (craniotomy). I was left with a fairly serious brain injury, and aphasia. It took 2+ weeks of rehab and many months of time to get back on my feet, but I was left with cognitive deficits.

Now my neurologist and my neurosurgeon (who i really like) are recommending we try again to implant a DBS in my left brain (Oct, 2015). They say (and I agree, based on what i have read) that I am still a perfect candidate for this solution.

So I write to find help with this decision. Could it work despite what happened the first time in my left brain? Is it crazy for me to to even consider this? Am i more likely to bleed/have a stroke? Do 'success rate' stats exist on this unique situation?

Please provide anything you can think of that might help me.

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
    Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    22 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center