Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Includes Expert Content
    Jack With A Walking Problem
    An_220909 posted:
    I have a 10 year old Jack Russell. She recently has started not using one of her back legs when running. I can rub her leg and hip area and she acts like it does not hurt, also the foot. She is very hyper and Still gets on the chairs and beds and jumps down. She will walk on the leg, but doesn't use when running. She is still eating like normal. Actually is normal acting dog, except for the leg. It was like this several weeks ago and went away, but now has come back. Any ideas?
    Ernie Ward, DVM responded:
    Limping Jack! We can't have that! Have your vet check her knees very carefully. Potential causes include cruciate ligament injury, luxating patella, meniscal injury, etc.

    Most smaller dogs can do well with medical treatment alone. Don't forget to ask your vet about using omega-3 fatty acids (Welactin) and glucosamine-chondroitin (Dasuquin) if there's any joint issue. Also, make sure your JRT is slim; excess weight is a common cause of joint injuries in the breed.

    Keep running, Dr. Ernie

    Helpful Tips

    How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
    Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    19 of 26 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    Learn more about the AVMA

    WebMD Special Sections