Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/pets/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    my cats love to chew and eat tape!!!
    NitaPotter posted:
    Hi everyone. I have 2 tabby cats, brother and sister, both fixed. They will be 2 years old on March 7. They both will eat the tape I've used to put up Christmas lights, or used to hold down some phone wires, or whatever. I constantly have to swat them away from the tape!!!! Does anyone know how to get them to be less interested? I've got so many cat toys scattered around for them to play....can't walk for them!! LOL They have plenty to chew and scratch on...but they still head back to that spot where I taped up the wires...HELP!!!

Thanks....Nita

AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
    Bonnie Beaver, BS, DVM, MS responded:
    Interesting problem. Most likely the cats were first attracted by the smell of the tape or its sticky substance. For cats, the odor of food or other things they eat is very important. If that is true for your cats, then there are some options. You can try different types of tape or not tape items (twisty ties, etc) to prevent the behavior. That is the easiest way to approach the problem.

You could also try "taste aversion" but this is a little harder if done right. Find a tast that is "awful" like hot sauce or the commercial products like "Bitter Apple." Take each cat and let it get a good smell of the bad stuff just before squirting a teaspoon full of it into their mouth (careful they will claw). You want a really bad memory of that smell and taste. Then plant one or two pieces of tape (all others removed) which are coated with the bad stuff. When the cat smells the bad stuff and the tape it will start to make a connection of the two = bad. Each time you use that tape, be sure to coat it will the bad stuff.

Like I said, it is probably easier to find alternatives to that type of tape. Good luck.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
    NitaPotter,

My cat Charlie who is a mutt also loves to sniff and chew on tape or sticky labels (think mailing labels and sticky roller paper to pick up pet hair). I think he's trying to get high from the glue on the tape. He's very naughty and somehow knows when I'm opening a package or peeling off a label, he will try and grab the label and eat it! None of my other dearly departed cats had this habit.

It's not that he's a starving kitten either, at a year and a half he weighs 13 pounds, he's a big boy!

- Annie

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
    Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections