Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    I think my cat broke his rear leg
    shania09 posted:
    He is limping, and hardly putting any weight on it. I cannot afford to take him to the vet cause I am currently unemployed. What can I do? Is there any programs out there that will help me at a discount at all?
    rohvannyn responded:
    Ask around to the animal shelters and maybe someone can find a low cost clinic for you. Those folks may have resources local to your area. Good luck with everything.
    Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP responded:
    There are many conditions that cause limping in cats, including fractures. When a bone is broken, they usually won't put any weight on it, so it's actually good if he's trying to use it. Other possibilities are bruises, sprains, fight wounds, etc. Many humane societies have low-cost clinics. If not, they'll know if there's one in your area. Many veterinarians offer payment plans, so you should call around to see if you can find one. One word of advice: don't give him any pain medication, as some are toxic to cats.

    Drew Weigner, DVM, ABVP
    The Cat Doctor
    Board Certified in Feline Practice

    Helpful Tips

    Helping Hospice Patients Keep Their PetsExpert
    Pets are an extremely important part of our lives. And this is especially true when we are at the end of our days. What could be more ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    36 of 48 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    Learn more about the AVMA

    WebMD Special Sections