Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/pets/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

What happened to my dog
    thereeserain posted:
    My dog is 12 years old and we have always left him outside to roam the farm. He usually sleeps under our house where in the crawl space we have a dog bed and other things for him. He has always done things the same and everyday at he comes to our front door and barks loudly and excitably until someone greets him with his food.; after you feed him he will disappear to either his house or somwhere on the farm. Last week he stopped. He didn't eat for 2 days and he never made a sound. I thought that maybe he just didn't feel good and he would return to normal. Since then I have seen him 3 or 4 times and he is always dead silent, its as if he cant bark at all. I also noticed his breathing has been fast all the time, and he is not excitable at all. Then he went missing for the past three days and I never saw or heard him at all. The food I did put out went undisturbed and he wasn't under the house. Last night at around 11 I saw him out in front of the house. I went outside to where his was, he had his back to me and I called his name, he didnt respond at all, no movement, sound, nothing at all. I walked toward him and he slowly walked under the house, he didn't glance back.I went under the house and saw him. He was sittin with his back to me, I shined the flashlight at him and said his name, once again no response, he did look over his shoulder one time but Idont think he saw me. I decided to take his food and water down there in case he was sick he wouldn't have far to walk. By now he was laying down close to the door, which was odd because he usually sleeps at the furthest section...He was breathing fast but not reacting to me being there. I opened the can of food and he stood up facing me, he walked and sopped about 2 ft from me. I was saying his name, reaching for him and he looked right through me. I shined the light on his face and noticed that his right eye had a black film on it but more importantly was really bloodhsot. He ignored me complely annd woudnt move any closer to the food.It was like he had no idea who I was and was very nervous being around me;Please help me!

rohvannyn responded:
    He really needs a vet. It could be anything from a brain tumor to an injury to rabies to who knows what. If a human had these symptoms, they'd have been in the ER days ago. I know affording a vet may be hard but that's going to be the best thing for him. I wish the best for you and your dog.

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
    Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections