Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/pets/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

I need an expert advice
    joseoltio posted:
    Have an eight month blind lady kitten. Her right eyes is definitively useless but it looks, as least to me, that in certain positions and situations she seems to almost see what is around. Our vet has given her some eyes drops since several months ago and he believes that he can try, operating her, to perhaps recover at least partially her vision. I am sorry to say that I am not confident about his proposal as I consider he might not have the tools required for such a difficult operation, nor the technology. We live in Bodrum, Turkey
    and do not believe we have here such technological capabilities.
    However the Advice I am looking for is that he has decided to CLOSE the right eye and I fail to understand the advantages of such intervention as once the eyes closed, her tears, and other secretions will then go out how and through where? Will appreciate receiving advice on this subject as I think that if our kitten has so far survived and developed other senses to live, smell, earing, tacts, etc., why should we close her second eye? My first question, second one is, do you believe operating facilities here are adequate for operating the other eye? Many thanks in advance for your kind help. If you need I can send photos of our kitten.
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

rohvannyn responded:
    The vet may want to close the eye to protect it and prevent infections. If the tear ducts remain clear, that is how tears etc would escape You might take a "watch and wait" attitude for now. Was her eye injured, or was it deformed at birth?

Helpful Tips

How to Get Your Cat in a CarrierExpert
    Trying to get your cat in a carrier for a trip to the veterinarians or road trip can be extremely frustrating. Some how a 10# cat that ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    19 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Learn more about the AVMA

WebMD Special Sections