Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    PLEASE NOTE: If you are not yet pregnant click here to check out one of our other pregnancy communities.
    Includes Expert Content
    Incompetent Cervix
    martinawilliams posted:
    Hello, I was on these boards back in 2009. At about 20 weeks I had to do a cervical suture due to an incompetent cervix. Im now pregnant with my 2nd child and I'm wondering if I have to undergo another suture this time around. I would just love to know what are the odds of this happening again.

    Also, I had an emergency c section with my 1st child. How risky is it to try a VBAC? I would love to have a vaginal delievery but I was told the 1st time that my pelvic was too small.

    Thanks for any help or advice.
    scperdomo7 responded:
    Hello and welcome back! I'm not really familiar with all that, so perhaps another member could give you some more information.

    I would definitely be speaking with my OB about all that though, as he/she would be more privvy to your health information that us.

    Either way, best wishes!!
    Robert O Atlas, MD responded:
    You will certainly have a number of decisions to make here.

    First, the issue of the cervical insufficiency. if you truly had this issue, most individuals would recommend you undergo an elective cerclage between 12-14 weeks.

    You did not include what your cervix was, what was the reasoning behind doing the cerclage. This is all important information to know. I believe your physician and you are the best to decide this however.

    I am very familar with this issue, one I deal with quite a bit.

    The other issue of whether to have a trial of labor after C/S (TOLAC), is another issue. The risk of uterine rupture is the biggest fear individuals have. The risk is approximately 0.4-0.7%. This is considered fairly low.

    However, if you have been told you have a small pelvis, then there is literature which would suggest a repeat C/S would in fact be the safest option for you.

    Again, these will need to be discussed with your physician. good luck with your decisions.

    Helpful Tips

    Easing Early Pregnancy NauseaExpert
    For many women, eating a small snack every hour or two will keep nausea to a minimum. Almost any food will do, but nuts are a great choice, ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    41 of 56 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.