Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/family-pregnancy/f/pregnancy/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

vasa previa anyone?
    Kimjj514 posted:
    has anyone been diagnosed with vasa previa?? I'm currently 16 1/2 weeks pregnant and had some bright red bleeding on Monday night. I went to the doctor yesterday and she did an u/s. She said it appears that I have a low-lying placenta and something known as a vasa previa, where the umbilical cord is attached close to the cervix and is between the fetus and the cervix. My doctor said she wasn't 100% sure this was the case, since their u/s machine is not the greatest, but she also saw a pocket of blood in my uterus just below the placenta. She said the placenta somehow became irritated and may have bled, which is where this bright red bleeding came from.

My concern is that everything I've read about vasa previa says that it can be fatal to the baby if undiagnosed prior to delivery. I have an u/s at the perinatal center on 9/25, so hopefully they'll be able to get a better look at what's going on. Has anyone been diagnose with this vasa previa? If so, do you have to have a c-section? I've had 2 previous vaginal births and am hoping for another uncomplicated vaginal delivery, but obviously I want what's safest for my baby.

Wenchgirl responded:
    I was diagnosed with vasa previa at my 20 & 24 week appointments by a Perinatalogist. Since then I've had ultrasound appointments every two weeks to track any changes in my cervix. They want to make sure that I don't go into labor as that could burst the artery that is across my cervix. I am currently at 28 weeks. I was told that unlike placenta previa, vasa previa will not correct itself and that I will be having a c-section at 35-36 weeks. They have also warned me that I could be put on bed rest (at home or in the hospital) if things change. But so far, so good.

The first week or so after that appointment I was totally freaked out. But since then I have realized that everything will be fine and the best part is that they found it early in the pregnancy. Most of the bad outcomes are due to the fact that women go into labor and do not know about the vasa previa.

Hope this helps!

Kimjj514 responded:
    thank you for this information. I'm hoping that they can tell me more at my u/s next week. I'm 18 1/2 weeks now and still skeptical. The u/s machine wasn't the greatest, so I'm hoping it's wrong. She also said I have a low-lying placenta. Is it possible that if the low-lying placenta moves up that the vasa previa could also correct itself? I've had two uncomplicated vaginal births and really hoping for a third. I'm terrified of the thought of having to have a c-section.

erin300410 responded:
    Oh my goodness, Kim, I am so thankful that your dr found this. Please don't let this scare you b/c I was undiagnosed but I lost my daughter at 35 weeks last year due to vasa previa. However you really don't need to worry if you have been diagnosed as long as you follow their instructions and have a c-section at 35 weeks. I have heard of some doctors waiting until 36 weeks and the one piece of advice I have to offer on that front is that I would be sure to schedule it at 35 weeks. I was 35 weeks and 5 days so even if I had been diagnosed, 36 weeks wouldn't have been enough.

I am currently pregnant again (only 9 weeks so we'll see.....) and my OB says we will plan to check lung maturity, get steroid shots if necessary and schedule a c-section at 35 weeks just to play it safe.

I wish you well, although it sounds like you are in very good hands and will have no problems. And don't worry about the c-section---people make them seem worse than they are!

Wenchgirl responded:
    According to my Perinatalogist vasa previa will not correct itself. My low lying placenta did move into the correct position. The best thing is that they found the vasa previa early in your pregnancy. Now it's just time to watch & wait. The losses due to this condition are mostly due to women not being diaginosed and going into labor. Try not to worry too much. (I know easier said than done!). This is my first baby and I knew it wasn't going to be easy!

I'm now at 31 weeks and they still plan to do a c-section at 35-36 week. I have been put on modified bedrest due to contractions that they can't seem to stop. But otherwise the baby & I are doing great. I just have to pay attention to my body and head to L&D if anything seems wrong. I've had one visit already & they were great. I'm sure everything will be fine in the long run.

Peperoncina responded:
    Hello!! Glad to see I am not alone!

I was diagnosed with vasa previa at 20 weeks, I am now 30 weeks pregnant. So far so good. But my ob/gyn told me that it would be a c-section delivery, and that is ok with me as long as my baby girl is ok... Only she said it would be at around 38 weeks, and from what I read this seems really late to avoid any kind of risk! I live in Belgium and I am afraid that maybe they might not be as aware of the risks here as in the US... What should I do???? I feel really lost... I would really appreciate some advice... Thanks!

Wenchgirl responded:
    Talk to your OB about your concerns and what you have read from others that have been diagnosed with vasa previa. My neonatalogist wanted to deliver at 35 weeks and my high risk OB recommended 36 weeks. It's my understanding that 37 weeks is considered full term. I'm not sure why your OB chose 38 weeks. They just need to make sure that your water doesn't break & you go into labor. The great news is that they caught this early & they know what to watch for.

I know this whole thing is very scary. Just to give you some good news we just delivered our little girl on Wednesday at 36 weeks 1 day. We both came through it with flying colors. She did end up in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit due to breathing issues, but we expected that since she was a little early. We're hoping to get released from the hospital tomorrow. This condition is NOT a death sentence. Just listen to your body....it'll tell you if something is wrong.

Enjoy your little girl when she arrives!

shaylianna26 responded:
    hello im tiffany. i am currently 29 wks along and 2 weeks ago i was told i have vasa previa,i was admitted into the hospital the same day and told i have to stay until i have the baby. i was also told that i have to have a c-section, the dr. says anyone with vasa previa should have a c-section if they were lucky enough to be diagnosed early, if you don't have a c-section the chance your baby will not live is 95% so delivery is done between 32-37 weeks at the latest, they try to have you deliver before you go into labor. if you go into labor the membranes will rupture causing major blood loss to the baby within the 1st few minutes. i was told most babies of vasa previa w/out early diagnoses do not make it. so yes i am very worried but i suggest you report any abnormal changes like bleeding, pain, light contractions or even if you notice the baby is not moving as there could be a complication. hospital bed rest is the best thing you can do if you have this condition to better the chances for the survival of your baby. i wish you all the best, you're not alone......

sarahluvsyooh responded:
    hey did everything turn out alright since you having vasa previa?

An_263574 responded:
    Wondering how everything turned out. We have Vasa Previa diagnosis in family. Now 21 weeks. Scared by diagnosis. Planned c-section 35 weeks.

An_263574 replied to Wenchgirl's response:
    How did everything turned out ? We have diagnosis 21 weeks now. C-Section planned at 35 weeks

Spotlight: Member Stories

The story I need to tell is the one about fighting infertility, through the two miscarriages and finally the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel-t...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
    It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    11 of 23 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.