Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
    Thank you to our heroes
    rohvannyn posted:
    Since it's Memorial Day, I wanted to take a moment to thank our Veterans, both those who gave their lives in the line of duty and those who were prepared to make that ultimate sacrifice, but are still with us.

I didn't know this before, but there's a cool tradition on this day - from dawn till noon, we fly the flag half staff to honor the fallen, and from noon till sunset, we fly the flag at the top to honor the living. I like this because there are so many who are still living who also need to be honored and thanked for their sacrifices.

I have never served myself, but I can truly respect those who have. It takes a special something to decide to join the military. And it takes a lot of knowledge and learning to perform the job of a soldier, sailor, or airman. I respect that. So I want to take this moment to say thank you to all members of the military, active or retired, living or dead.

dfromspencer responded:
    Thanks Roh, So many take for granted their freedoms. I never saw combat, I was ready too at the drop of a hat! I felt I owed my country a little something for the freedoms I had growing up. I just missed the Viet Nam war, thank God! I went in thinking I would get to show my appreciation, I did not. Or, so I had thought? It was when I was drinking very heavily that my brother and his friend, (our friend?) had me committed to the mental health facility. There I found out I was eligible for VA benefits, and they shipped me to the VA hospital. Unfortunately, at the time they were trying to save money. I did get to talk to a wonderful Psychologist, twice, and she gave me some things to think about. And I was released after three weeks. Just enough time to dry out?

After that, I received more appointments to the VA hospital nearest to my home. I received a new pair of glasses, which I had needed for years. New hearing aides for both ears, (hardly used them) and other appointments for my overall health. I really appreciated all they had done for me, but I went right back to drinking to drown out my anger over my step father. (The one that murdered my mother.)

Now, with all of that ugliness behind me, (Thank YOU, Dr. Leslie!) And a big THANK YOU too all of my friends here at Web.M.D. Without all of you combined, who knows what might have become of me?

Anyway, thanks Roh, that was sweet of you to do that for the Vets, living, or dead!

D.
    LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Relationships and Coping Community recommended resourcesExpert
    About a month ago, I asked the community here to suggest resources for finding a therapist. They suggested: Psychology Today's therapist ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    15 of 22 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.