Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
    What is self-love? And how can you nurture it?
    Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD posted:
    Loving yourself is key in feeling good each and every day of your life. It means that you accept yourself as you are and truly care about your experiences. You have compassion for the difficulties and pains that befall you in lifeā€¦ even when they seem self-inflicted. (You understand that you would not have inflicted pain on yourself if you knew how to handle things better and truly feel happy.)

What do you see as signs that people loves themselves? And what have your struggles been in trying to love yourself?

If you would like to read more in detail about this topic in my post for WebMD's Relationships blog, click here .

Dr. Becker-Phelps's discussions and her responses in those discussions are for general educational purposes only. If you need help for an emotional or behavioral problem, please seek the assistance of a psychologist or other qualified mental health professional.

dfromspencer responded:
    Excellent blog, Dr. Leslie!

I used to struggle with this myself, A LOT. But after being here on this site for so long, now, YOU and the others have shown me how to love myself by showing others how. And, especially when you gave me the key to forgive my mothers killer, which in turn, freed me. I have also forgiven myself for other things too many to list. It is all thanks to my stumbling across this site.

Yes, I know you hate it when I heap my thanks upon you. But had you not given me that key, I may not have been here now, to write this, and give you those thanks! You are the best thing (thing)? to happen too me, at just the right time! So, as long as I am around here, you are just going to have to put up with me. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH Dr. LESLIE, AND THANKS TO THE OTHERS ALSO, PRESENT, AND PAST!

Okay, now lets see? When I see people being happy without noticing it, I know they are genuinely loving themselves. Most don't even know that they are doing it. It is just natural for them.

Others have to work at it. Some, like me, that has had some bad turns in life, need to pay attention, and work at it. I do this every day, I sit down in front of this computer and tell myself "I love you". "You are as worthy of love as the next guy"! "There is no difference between you, or the next guy"! "You will find love, it may not be the love of your life, but it will be genuine love"! "My heart is overfull of love, and I will give that love freely to others"!

Well, Dr. Leslie, I hope this is somewhat close to what you had in mind? LOL! What started out in my head, was much shorter than this. Sorry for the novella!

Dennis
    LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD replied to dfromspencer's response:
    Dennis: I am, as always, glad that my blog post connected with you! I hope you continue to grow in feeling more positively about yourself and your life.

dfromspencer replied to Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD's response:
    Thank you Dr. Becker-Phelps! It is my wish to do just that!
    LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Same thing here
    My boyfriend use to hold me as we slept, now it is i have to hold him or he wants to hold hands. The intamcy is not like it use to be and ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.