Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/arthritis/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Anyone have RA and sulfite sernsitivity?
    irishheather posted:
    I am a 42 yo mom of three and was recently diagnosed with a very aggressive case of RA. The crazy thing is that I have been sick for years and drs have been telling me that everything points to auto immune but nothing was obvious. I changed drs and about 6 months ago, my new internist diagnosed me with a sulfite food allergy. It seemed to help a bit...I cut out all processed foods and lost about 25 pounds. But my symptoms were getting more severe and I ended up having trouble even walking. So upsetting, especially as a mother and I am also a performer.
    I went to a rheumy on a whim and when she looked at me, she was pretty convinced that I had lupus. As it turns out, my blood tests came back that I tested very positive for RA. It has been a hard 3 months but I just started on Enbrel the other day and I feel GREAT! I do have a weird chest cough with some goop, it may be a side effect.
    I am not sure what to do with this sulfite allergy thing now. DO I really have it? Or was it RA? I mean, I would eat something and within 4 hours some joint would swell and I couldn't move. I am also on prednisone and melexicam so it may mask my symptoms now. Any others out there with sulfite intolerance? Also seriously toying with going gluten free but a lot of the binders that are used, like zantham gums, are sulfites...(BTW, my Rheumy doesn't really believe I have the allergy but my regular dr does..I have tried to call allergists to see if someone can help me but I always end up practically in tears because no drs seems to want to help)
    Heather

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Dear IrishHeather,

Those are good questions you're asking. Have you considered getting a second opinion if your current doctor(s) aren't helping?

This article, Can Your Diet Help Relieve RA may be helpful. You may want to print it out with you and bring it to your doctor to discuss.

Maybe one of our other members will be able to weigh in on the topic of RA and diet and share their experience with you.

Yours in health,

Byroney

grandma5x3 responded:
    I am 61 and have ra for 1 1/2 years. I'm on methrotrexate and mobix. I to( with trail and error) have found out I have sulfite sensitivity. I have gone organic and it helps tremendously!

Joyce

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
    Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    36 of 40 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.