Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/arthritis/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Keyboard for RA Sufferer
    girls_raised_in_the_south posted:
    I'm wanting suggestions on a ergonomic keyboard designed for users with rheumatoid arthritis. I've checked Arthritis Foundation and their Ease-of-Use products. I've checked the national rheumatoid arthritis website. I'm in an acute stage, and I'd appreciate your useful (and speedy) suggestions.

girls_raised_in_the_south responded:
    Can anyone tell me about the Microsoft Keyboard (that's its name?!) and RA pain? Does the split keyset offer an advantage?

mike201 responded:
    Interesting question Southern Girl but I come from much further South - Australia! Your best bet is to use software called Dragon Dictate. You can then use your voice and the computer will type. Many newer computers and Apple in particular have a similar feature built in. It takes a while to learn but does work well. I had your problem for about one year but now may hands are much better. For the kitchen you can also buy grip extender tools. These are very useful and I still use them.

girls_raised_in_the_south replied to mike201's response:
    Bless your "down under" heart, Mike201. I type numerous numbers (pun intended), and I've tried the number pad on the non-dominant side, but my inflammation comes at me from both directions. I'll look into "Puff (the Magic Dragon) Dictates." I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

guess98224 responded:
    I just bought Dragon word recognition software and a headset on Amazon. Between three trigger fingers and carpal tunnel, it's really painful to type. I have not installed the program yet, and I know voice recognition programs have flaws, but I figured it was either this or taking a break from the keyboard until my flare calms down.

girls_raised_in_the_south replied to guess98224's response:
    I hope the software works well for you. I'm glad the "dragons" were developed. My MD just wrote a prescription for a Kinesis keyboard with "independent" hands. We'll see.

scott_crummer responded:
    Hi all. My name is Scott and I'm in the MBA program at Rollins College in Orlando, FL. My marketing research team is conducting a survey about assistive technology products and I was curious if anyone would be interested in taking it. It's a short survey so it shouldn't take any more than 5 minutes.

The purpose of the survey is to gather data for the makers of orbiTouch. It's an ergonomic keyboard for individuals who have difficulty typing on a traditional keyboard. I promise, no one is trying to sell you anything. We're simply gathering data about how people learn about and purchase technology like this.

Here is the link: https://rollins.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_1TFkgioJ43Gi6wZ

Thank you!

alicejackson responded:
    I hope they are now developing more Ergonomics in tech gears. Hi girls_raised_in_the_south, for the meantime you may want to try taking natural health supplements. I would suggest deer velvet as it aids in joint pain relief.

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
    Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    36 of 40 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.