Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/arthritis/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

how to get long term disability
    An_267513 posted:
    I'm still working full time and have the support of all of my docs to get in disability. I only have short term disability at work and can't afford to go without any paychecks while I wait out the year the attorney said it could take. I tried to get long term disability at work but was denied because of RA and A.S. Any suggestions would be helpful!
    Thanks

allie_bf responded:
    Try to work with your employer to work with you on adjusting the terms of your job to something that you can both manage. The ADA rules help here, if you work for a larger employer that falls under their requirements. If you have a "better" part of the day, try to get as much done during your "good" hours as possible so that you can slow down a bit, and pace yourself, when you're hurting more. See if you can work out a different schedule, maybe even working 32-36 hours per week instead of the usual 40 (dropping below 32 hours may affect your healthcare benefits.) Sometimes this is all that people need to be able to continue working a few more years.If you can make it in the workforce, even just to 62 for early retirement, you will be far better off than taking the long term disability route. I know what I am asking, it's extremely difficult for me to work, too, but if there is any way at all that you can keep going with modifications, it's the better route for your long term well-being.

In the meantime, work on adjusting your finances at home. If you can't go without any full-time paychecks now, remember that disability payments are extremely minimal, so you if you are struggling now, you won't make it on a greatly reduced income unless you reach out now to any and all creditors to let them know your circumstances, and see what can be done for next year.

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
    Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    41 of 48 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.