Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/arthritis/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Living in the Desert while taking Enbrel
    cvrife posted:
    Hello RA Community. I am a veteran with Ankylosing Spondylitis. I take Enbrel injections which suppress my immune system.

I am considering relocating and retiring in a drier climate and I've been looking at Southern Arizona, New Mexico, or possibly Mesquite (Nevada). They all have relatively dry climates with mostly stable barometric pressures and higher altitudes.

I've read about this 'Valley Fever' which affects your respiratory system. I already have a suppressed immune system and a restricted chest capacity due to the spinal fusion in my back. My question is, should I not be considering these areas due to health concerns or is it still safe to live there with my health conditions?

Thanks for any responses and help.

editor_morgan responded:
    Hi cvrife,

I completely understand your concern.

Here are links to information about Ankylosing Spondylitis and weather, which might be helpful to your situation:

Arthritis and Ankylosing Spondylitis

Does Weather Affect Arthritis ?

Weather, Arthritis Link Confirmed

AS --Beyond the Back

I hope this helps!

Have you spoken to your doctor about your move?

Helpful Tips

help with methotrexate side effectsExpert
    I recommend all my patients on methotrexate take at least 1 mg of Folic Acid daily to help decrease the risk of side effects. In those ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    30 of 33 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.