Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
    ummmm hello!
    texasbandmom posted:
    New here... don't really know what to say as introduction and keep anonymity.

I'm 42, sh'ed a very short while as a teen - like a few months - until my mother took away my tool. She did not know then and does not know now. I started again several years ago when job loss and personal stresses became too much. After three years I was able to stop and did not sh for over a year. Work has been emotionally stressful this week and I went back to the only coping skills I have found that work. Part of me knows how awful it is and wants to stop. I feel so guilty for it and I haven't told husband or sister that I did again. No one else knows anything. Part of me thinks that it makes me feel better so what is the problem?
    kind of lost...but glad to see I am not alone.

slik_kitty responded:
    welcome to the board. the key to beating this is to find a coping skill that will replace the sh. sh keeps coming back because it works, at least for a little while. therapy can help you deal with what is at the root of the need to do this. there's also things you can do instead of the sh. put a rubberband around your wrist. then you can snap it when you feel the urge. put ice cubes in your hands and hold them really tight. draw with a red marker on your arm.

rugger1369 responded:
    You're not alone. Welcome to the board. You found a safe place.

It's only a temporary fix. therapy, sharing with your family, journaling, may help you get to the root of the trigger and from there you will be able to address it better.

You've had long stretches of being sh free, you can def do it again! Stay strong
    with love and fulljoy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I live in the UK and have been around the boards for a few years now - how time flies!! Everyone has always been so supportive here. I get great comfo...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
    Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    33 of 35 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.