Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Is cuddling immediately after sex a pregnancy risk?
    An_267732 posted:
    I'd love to cuddle with my wife after sex, but I'm afraid of leftover semen getting her pregnant. I rush to the bathroom to throw out the condom, wipe off my penis, put my underwear on, and keep to my side of the bed.

I'd love to do it like the movies, where we finish and then hold each other without missing a beat. But we're just using condoms (on me) and I feel like it's too risky.

I've searched around and found no real discussion of this online, so maybe I'm just overly paranoid? If there are some basic safety tips on naked post-coital cuddling I'd love to hear them. If cleaning the penis is recommended how can I make sure I clean it correctly/enough?

nohard responded:
    Hi You don't say but if you have your children and are happy with your brood? then get and have a vasectomy job done and no more worries about getting pregnant, once your past your tests.
    Best thing I ever done for my wife, you can give your self a new middle name of Martini as the old advert went, anytime, anyplace, anywhere that's been us for years 1976 when I had mine done, and its still going strong.

Hope this helps you.

NOWHARD
    Your Penis is Affected by Every Aspect of Your Physical, Mental and Emotional Life.

nohard responded:
    Hi You don't say but if you have your children and are happy with your brood? then get and have a vasectomy job done and no more worries about getting pregnant, once your past your tests.
    Best thing I ever done for my wife, you can give your self a new middle name of Martini as the old advert went, anytime, anyplace, anywhere that's been us for years 1976 when I had mine done, and its still going strong.

Hope this helps you.

NOWHARD
    Your Penis is Affected by Every Aspect of Your Physical, Mental and Emotional Life.

g1981 replied to nohard's response:
    No children yet. I am definitely okay with a vasectomy once we're done with all that!

georgiagail replied to g1981's response:
    Define your idea of cuddling.

Gail

g1981 replied to georgiagail's response:
    @georgiagail stuff like.. my wife lying on top of me, or like draping her leg over my hips in a partial straddle... or facing each other propped up on our sides and holding... or spooning. All of which put our genitals close together.

greek13nut replied to georgiagail's response:
    GG Has it been that long since you had a cuddle then? you should do it daily either first thing in the morning and just before you go to sleep.
    The morning one is best as you get the morning wood, nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean.

NOWHARD

fcl replied to g1981's response:
    Your genitals being close together is not a pregnancy risk. Your genitals inserted in hers IS a pregnancy risk I think what's important to know is that sperm is actually very fragile and needs a warm, moist environment to survive. You can consider it dead when it dries. It also cannot leap from one person to another. (I'm not kidding, you'd be surprised at how many people seem to believe it can and also that it can force its way through clothing ...). I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
    There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

georgiagail replied to fcl's response:
    I'm fully aware of what cuddling is. My question involved what the OP thought it was and why he worried doing so might cause a pregnancy.

Gail

g1981 replied to fcl's response:
    The fragility of sperm is encouraging. I usually clean myself off with a moist bathroom wipe. Would a quick pat-down with a dry tissue be likely to dry things enough? I suppose, once those guys are dry, I don't even have to worry about "residue" I may have missed in the quick cleanup. Dead sperm wouldn't get very far!

fcl replied to g1981's response:
    Rushing off to the bathroom to get cleaned and dressed would be a bit of a passion killer for me. Why not just remove your condom and let your penis dry off by itself as you bask in the afterglow? Wipe off with a tissue by all means but all the rest that you were doing is overkill and could well be ruining the moment ...
    There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Helpful Tips

Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
    Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    6 of 9 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website