Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Please help! Am I allergic to my husband's semen? Period after intercourse!
    hecate83 posted:
    Im 33 and married. Actively trying to get pregnant. My hubby and I only have sex a couple of times a month 2-4. We both work crazy schedules with physically demanding jobs, leaving both of us exhausted after work. Weekends are for sleeping and resting our aching backs!

    My question: EVERY time we have intercourse, I start my "period". This ONLY happens when he ejaculates INSIDE me. There is no pain or blood DURING sex, but I either wake up with cramping and bleeding or the symptoms start as early as an hour later. Feels exactly like a regular period. Will last a day to 3 days. If we have sex ending with him ejaculating inside me 3x a month...I get this "mini-period" 3x a month.

    I have had 2 miscarriages in the past two years. Both right around 7-9 weeks. BOTH miscarriages happened 24-48 hrs. after intercourse ending with my hubby ejaculating inside me. Am I "allergic" to his semen? There were NO symptoms of any "problems" with both pregnancies. No spotting, no cramping. Both fetuses where healthy only days before. Great heartbeats, etc. I KNOW in my heart and head that his semen caused the miscarriages, only I would NEVER tell him that. Neither one of us have children and he was devestated both times. I REALLY NEED SOME HELP ON THIS ONE!
    Anon_475 responded:
    As this happens regularly it's time to talk to your doctor about this. There is a number of possible causes but only your doctor can diagnose which it is.

    Sperm allergy generally manifests as a painful, burning sensation.

    Most miscarriages are of genetic cause and generally happen without any sign of problems.

    Please make an appointment today.
    hecate83 replied to Anon_475's response:
    Okay, I kinda thought that was gonna be the answer...I was just putting off making an appoint. Thank you. I gotta pull up my big girl panties and make a call to the gyno. My hubby and I had sex last night around midnight and I felt the bleeding and period-like cramping coming almost immediately. I say "period-like" because the bleeding is the dark blood like a normal period (not pink or bright red, so Im pretty sure its not an injury or abrasion problem). And there is slight clotting (long stringy tissue) exactly like my period. (I usually have pretty heavy clotting and bleeding) Its still happening now, enough that I had to use pads.

    I will make the call on monday morning as soon as the office opens. The only problem is I wont be able to give them real facts. I have no dates to give them. My period will come pretty regularly when we dont have sex. But its all over the calender if we have sex more often. I cant give them the "date of my last period" or the "day I started my last period". Does this COUNT as a period?
    nohard responded:
    Hi This link could be of help to you, could your not having enough sex?
    And there could be other reasons, this one may sound odd but could even be from the hormones that get released through having and orgasm.

    Good Luck

    Your Penis is Affected by Every Aspect of Your Physical, Mental and Emotional Life.
    Anon_475 replied to hecate83's response:
    No, what you're experiencing is "abnormal vaginal bleeding". Don't worry about not being able to give them dates just tell them everything that you can.

    Good luck with your appointment.

    Helpful Tips

    Difficulty having an orgasm?Expert
    Try reading Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women by Julia Heiman , Joseph Ph.D. LoPiccolo and David ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    6 of 9 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website