Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Dry humping and pregnancy
    An_267882 posted:
    I have done a lot of online searching, but there does not seem to be any consensus on this. Could dry humping *really* lead to pregnancy?

By "dry humping" I mean rubbing genitals together through clothes and then maintaining contact during ejaculation. Conceivably the resulting puddle of semen could penetrate through 4 layers of clothing (male's underwear, male's trousers, female's skirt and female's underwear) and end up near the vaginal opening.

Several sources say that pregnancy is theoretically possible in this situation... but theoretically I could also win the lottery by buying just one ticket...

So, realistically, how likely is pregnancy in such cases (assuming that the female is in the fertile stage of the cycle and the semen does get on the female underwear close to the vaginal opening)?

nohard responded:
    Hi So what you asking do men really have magic sperm? answer sorry not yet, sperm could not do that, the more if it could would get colder, and this kills sperm. OK

NOWHARD
    Your Penis is Affected by Every Aspect of Your Physical, Mental and Emotional Life.

fcl responded:
    The chances of pregnancy resulting from this are even lower than winning the lottery with just one ticket... because that actually can happen.
    There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

georgiagail replied to fcl's response:
    "Conceivably the resulting puddle of semen could penetrate through 4 layers of clothing (male's underwear, male's trousers, female's skirt and female's underwear) and end up near the vaginal opening."

"Conceivable" ain't the word here. Impossible is. Even Superman couldn't impregnate a woman this way.

Gail

An_267882 replied to georgiagail's response:
    Original poster here. Reason I asked this question is that a similar event happened to me the other day. The semen went through my briefs, my shorts and her dress and left a one-inch diameter stain on her underwear (clearly visible on the light-coloured fabric). It was a few inches North of the vaginal opening (on her upper pubic area) and she was wearing a menstrural pad at the time and patted the stain with tap water within a few minutes, but we are both in our 20s and according to my calculations ovulation is due in 1-2 days so fertility is at its peak.
    Original poster here. Reason I asked this question is that a similar event happened to me the other day. The semen went through my briefs, my shorts and her dress and left a one-inch diameter stain on her underwear (clearly visible on the light-coloured fabric). It was a few inches North of the vaginal opening (on her upper pubic area) and she was wearing a menstrural pad at the time and patted the stain with tap water within a few minutes, but we are both in our 20s and according to my calculations ovulation is due in 1-2 days so fertility is at its peak.
    It was a bit of a shock to me that semen could penetrate through so many layers of clothes. We are both virgins and plan to keep it that way for the foreseeable future, but this has made me consider whether I should start wearing a condom underneath my underwear when I engage in such activities in future...

winterglow replied to An_267882's response:
    I'm curious as to how you calculated her ovulation time.

Apart from that, she was on her period? Even if you had penetrated her and ejaculated inside her, the chances of pregnancy would be extremely slim. Getting some semen on a pad is not going to do it. Semen is fragile and dies pretty quickly if it isn't in a warm, moist environment (like a vagina) so it isn't going to hang around outside for a few days waiting for an egg to come down and throw itself upon it.

Really, you have nothing to worry about. However, I recommend you have condoms handy in case this kind of situation gets out of hand ... because they often do.

An_267882 replied to winterglow's response:
    OP here. Thanks for the reply! Well, I calculated the ovulation time by keying in the date of her last period and the length of her cycle into one of those online fertility calculators (a quick google search brings up at least 3 sites with a colourful animated calendar and everything). She also has regular periods and can apparently feel when she's ovulating (not sure exactly how though).

Maybe condoms are a good idea. I kinda wanted to avoid going down that route because they'd raise some awkward questions if discovered, and they make it more tempting to take things further (to use an analogy - you're more likely to jump out of the plane if you know you have a parachute with you...).

I've actually been looking for data of what conditions sperm cells can survive. Like studies of which temperatures they can tolerate (30-45*C ?), which pH (7-8 ?), how long they would live in tap water or on a dry surface before dying of osmotic shock or dessication respectively... If anyone is aware of a source of this, please share! I would love to be able to put some myths to rest using credible scientific sources.

winterglow replied to An_267882's response:
    The obvious answers to your questions concerning temperature and pH would be the average values for a vagina. How long in water? Not very long - they need a nutritive liquid (a culture medium in lab settings) to survive. On a dry surface? When they dry out they die.

How old are you, by the way?

If you can't discuss why you are carrying condoms with your partner, maybe you shouldn't be taking your affectionate exchanges so far... being embarrassed to talk about contraception is not a good excuse for an unwanted pregnancy.

An_267882 replied to winterglow's response:
    I think I mentioned in one of my posts - we're in our late 20s. It's not my partner that will ask awkward questions. We live in a very conservative country (to mention one example, the morning-after pill is illegal here) and parents and such take a dim view of sex before marriage. It would take some convincing if they discover a stash of condoms somewhere

Helpful Tips

wallgreens lol seriously
    I went on wallgreens looking for a curling iron. and i found some toys.. and inexpensive.. lol... i was lol... came in a box, very discreet ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Becker-Phelps' website