Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Low IGG/positive POCkit- re-test necessary?
    aes77 posted:
    Not sure if there are any docs/nurses on this community, but I was diagnosed HSV2+ 7-8 years ago with (I think) an ELISA/IGG test. I don't remember the results, but it was low enough that I went for a second test - I think it was a POCkit test, at another doctor. It was done in the doc's office where he read for the appearance of a bar to mean positive. His first response was "it's sort of positive" (the bar was faintly there) and then "in my experience that always means positive." I took these two results to mean that I was was indeed HSV2 postive.

Perhaps I'm grasping at straws here, but I've read up recently on low IGGs/false positives and am wondering about my status. I've never had the typical outbreak. There have been one or two times in the last 8 years, where I had an itchy bump I assumed was HSV2, but that's the extent of my symptoms. Still, I know many people rarely/never have symptoms. Plus, I have had HSV1 orally since I was a child, so I know that might lessen HSV2 symptoms.

Any experts out there that would suggest a re-test? (If so, what kind of test? I'm currently uninsured, so everything would be out of pocket.)

Stevcor responded:
    I would get a paired Western Blot test from the University of Washington. You might have a protein that causes false positives. Here is the information on how to order.

http://depts.washington.edu/rspvirus/documents/hsv_western_blot.pdf

Helpful Tips

positive results
    I had unprotected sex with a woman 3 weeks before I had this tests done. here are my results: HSV 1/2 IGG HERPESELECT HSV 1 IGG ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.