Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

HSV Testing Results
    mcw1234 posted:
    How accurate is the IGG Herpselect test for HSV 1? I had a visual diagnosis 8 years ago by my doctor. After 16 weeks I was tested at Quest Diagnostics and the results were negative <.90. Since then I have taken the same test 5-6 times and continue to get negative results. I have been told that this test is not accurate as the antibodies won't show up in they are not replicating at that time. I tried to get the DNA PCR test but it is not offered in my state. I don't know what to do but I really want to know. I don't get symptoms often but on occasion do get the itching tingling in the shorts region. Any thoughts?

georgiagail responded:
    The sensitivity of this test for HSV1 is about 91 percent. However, the risk is for more false POSITIVES than false NEGATIVES. If you've had 5-6 tests over all these years and they've all been negative, you don't carry this virus (rather surprising since many adults do have this, having picked this up in childhood).

Helpful Tips

Don't waste time on this site.
    Please do not embarrass yourselves with asking these virtual medical advice people anything real important. I didn't even get an answer. More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.