Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    STD transmission from giving protected oral sex?
    dazedand posted:
    A few days ago I gave a blowjob to a guy. We used a condom, I stopped before he came, and we were both really careful that there was no exchange of bodily fluids at all. I also made sure that my mouth only touched him where he was covered with the condom.

    After he left I felt really guilty and scared of STDs and washed out my mouth really thoroughly with 3% hydrogen peroxide solution, twice; I swallowed small amounts each time.

    About an hour after this I started to get a "burning" sensation in my throat and this has stayed with me for the past three days.

    My question is could I have contracted something from giving him oral? Could the sore throat be from gonorrhea? I don't have any other symptoms and I've looked down my throat with a flashlight and all looks normal.
    misterwillis responded:
    The burning is probably a reaction from peroxide or something acidic that you ate.

    Condom fellatio is a safe practice. There was no risk of any STD whatsoever. No STD can penetrate a condom barrier.

    Again, there is no risk in the scenario you described.
    georgiagail replied to misterwillis's response:
    It's likely from the hydrogen peroxide.

    dazedand responded:
    Are you SURE that you can't get STDs from protected fellatio? My ex-husband said this too when he had an affair but he got chalydima.
    georgiagail replied to dazedand's response:
    "Are you SURE that you can't get STDs from protected fellatio?


    Helpful Tips

    positive results
    I had unprotected sex with a woman 3 weeks before I had this tests done. here are my results: HSV 1/2 IGG HERPESELECT HSV 1 IGG ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.