Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Saran Wrap safe to use?
    John_heinz posted:
    I only recently started having sex with my first girlfriend. I am her first as well. We still like to be safe although we are each other's first.

Several weeks ago we had run out of condom's and decided to use Saran Wrap as protection for oral sex.

I wrapped some around my penis before oral sex.

I am now very worried about it. My penis seemed to feel funny afterwards, and after using Google I realized Saran Wrap was only recommended for oral sex on a girl. Does that mean the plastic will not hurt a vagina, but could hurt a penis? Is the skin different? Is there certain chemical on plastic wrap that would cause a penis to be damaged or ruin the skin or something? I know it seemed to be harder to unwrap it off than a condom when I was finished. I suppose it just stuck on some because of my sperm.

I am afraid I have ruined my penis and am very worried. My first girlfriend is ready to break up with me I am so nervous about this.

georgiagail responded:
    Saran Wrap will not damage nor ruin your penis. Stop worrying about this.

Saran Wrap is not recommended as a substitute for a condom during intercourse as it would tear easier than a condom would during thrusting. Thus, it is no a reliable substitute during intercourse.

Since you both were virgins before you got together, one wonders why you feel you need to use either condoms or Saran Wrap during oral sex. Are you worried about passing along things like HSV1 via the oral sex?

Gail

John_heinz replied to georgiagail's response:
    Gail thank you for the reply. I hope you are correct about the Saran Wrap. I suppose my mind is playing tricks.

We are worried about cold sores being transferred, which is why we protect ourselves. I will be honest we are both just worried about STD's even though it is both of us first times.

ps. You are certain about Saran Wrap?

georgiagail replied to John_heinz's response:
    Yes, I am certain about the Saran Wrap.

Do you both have the virus that causes cold sores?

Gail

How do you get tested for that? She has had some cold sores on her lip that she says she got first one many years ago.

I have never had them.

Thank you for easing my mind on the Saran Wrap. I guess I was the only one who ever used on male genital.

georgiagail replied to John_heinz's response:
    Many of us carry HSV1, the virus that typically causes cold sores on the lip. I do, although it's literally been decades since I had one pop up. Still, one still carries the virus.

Your girlfriend can get tested for this particular virus if she wishes but she'll test positive.

No, you're not the first male who has used Saran Wrap; on one of the health sites a fellow tried to use it during vaginal intercourse and it was a bit of a disaster keeping it intact during thrusting.

Gail

When I had chickenpox is very very mild, I remember everyone commenting on that. Does that mean I may have some strong immunity to those types?

I am starting to relax a bit on the Saran Wrap. I am trying to imagine it used for actual sexual relations.

I suppose the latex in condoms has just as much plastic chemical as the Saran Wrap.

GuardSquealer replied to John_heinz's response:
    You should only use Saran wrap on your penis when you are going to freeze it.

Elle0317 replied to John_heinz's response:
    The virus that causes the chicken pox is herpes zoster and is different from HSV. You can still catch HSV even though you've had the chicken pox.

A note on the saran wrap, it's completely harmless and some people use it to wrap their entire bodies when 'playing'.

John_heinz replied to Elle0317's response:
    I thought all those virus'es were the same. Now that I have read more, I realize they are more common than same, and unrelated.

I got confused because my Grandmother was given Valtrex for shingles. I know Valtrex is used for genital herpes too. So I simply thought they are all the same.

Thank you.

ps. I have never heard of wrapping a body in saran wrap for playing.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Reminder, WebMD communities are used for help and support. It is important that everyone in the community feel respected. :)

Lainey

betsyo1967 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
    Let me just comment on the use of saran wrap for protection during oral sex :)

The testing on saran wrap was all done years ago on NON- MICROWAVEABLE plastic wrap. the microwaveable kinds of plastic wrap do not block viruses enough for them to be used. Now I"m sure most posters here don't even remember non-microwaveable plastic wrap but there is a difference.

Personally I haven't found non-microwaveable plastic wrap in a store in years. Not sure if you can get it in bulk from warehouse stores like sam's club or not but in local grocery stores, it's pretty much impossible to find.

so pretty much in this day and age, you can't use plastic wrap for protection with oral sex. Instead take a condom ( they make non-lubricated flavored ones ), cut it open and lay it over the genital area instead. It's much cheaper than buying dental dams for females. for males of course just put on a condom to receive oral.
    Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

betsyo1967 replied to John_heinz's response:
    your partner having hsv1 orally does mean that you can potentially contract hsv1 genitally from her performing oral on you. Since you can't recall a history of cold sores, you can ask your provider to order a hsv1 igg blood test on you ( no reason for hsv2 testing since you were both virgins before each other ).

if you want the best protection, don't use plastic wrap, use condoms for her to perform oral on you instead.
    Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Helpful Tips

his physique or his look
    These sources are the one dependable stuffs that melt away the superfluous fat from the physique by way of making use of suppressing the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.