Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/skin-beauty/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    Cutaneous horn on inner ear lobe
    nic14120 posted:
    Hello! I'm a 37 year old female. About a month back I noticed what felt like a piece of skin on the hard cartilage area before you enter the ear canal. I was picking at it and remembering thinking it won't come off, I didn't even look at it, hadn't noticed anything prior. I let it be and forgot about it. One day I noticed what looked like a piece of skin growing upwards off of that area. It was tiny and thin, resembling a wart almost. It was moveable and I thought it was a skin tag so I was putting tea tree oil and apple cider vinegar on it. I wasn't diligent about it. It was cosmetically bothering me so I had it removed yesterday. He said it appeared to be a horn growing. How does one develop these with no pre existing moles or marks. Can you have. A scratch that can develop into one? He sent it off for a biopsy so now my nerves are shot with worry:( are these generally benign situations? I would greatly appreciate any info! Thank you!

Mohiba K Tareen, MD responded:
    Benign skin growths may appear with age, friction (rubbing can stimulate skin tags and horns), as well as due to sun or chemical exposure.

Your doctor did the absolute correct thing to send the tissue for analysis -- occasionally there are early skin cancer cells at the base of cutaneous horns.

Sincerely,
    Dr Tareen
    Dr. Mohiba Tareen
    Tareen Dermatology, Roseville, Minn
    Castle Connoly's America's Top Cosmetic Dermatologists
    Adjunct Assistant Professor Univ of MN Dept of Dermatology
    www.TareenDermatology.com

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.