Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/skin-beauty/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

What kind of skin rash is this?
    bailey08 posted:
    I've had this rash on my arm for almost two weeks now. It started as a few round patches that I thought could be ringworm but then they started spreading all around my armpit and didn't look like ringworm anymore. I went to urgent care and they said it was contact dermatitis and prescribed a prednisone and said to take Zyrtec with it. It seemed to be working and that rash was starting to fade but now I'm done taking the prednisone and the rash is still spreading. It's around my left armpit (not in it) a little around my arm pit and the back of my neck also. It's itchy at times but taking Benedetto helps with that. Any ideas of what it could be? I haven't used any new soap or anything that I can tho I of recently. It actually looks better now than in this picture but it was spread more.

editor_morgan responded:
    Hi there, Bailey08!

Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm sorry that you are experiencing such discomfort. I know how irritating and painful a rash can be so I took the liberty of doing some research for you.

Here are some links to information I found on WebMD that I think will be extremely useful for you:

Information on Intertrigo , a fancy name for a rash that manifests in the folds of the skin in areas like the armpit. This link has information on symptoms & treatment options.

Information on Hidradenitis Suppurativa , a condition that causes you to get painful bumps under your skin near some of your sweat glands.

WebMD's Rashes Directory

Common Skin Rashes

WebMD Community Moderators are unable to give medical advice or a diagnosis. After reading these articles, I would follow up with your doctor and tell him/her that you are still experiencing discomfort caused by the rash on your arm.

Please come back and update us!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.