Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/skin-beauty/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Insane hair growth rate.
    An_267728 posted:
    Hello. I have a problem that's rather cosmetic, however it is making me feel extremely uncomfortable, as a woman!
    I have excessive body hair*. I've had the following tested: testosterone (the level is normal, meaning my excessive hair is genetic, not hormonal), female hormones (again, at normal levels — my period is regular, and I don't have cysts or other problems), thyroid gland (all is good, I've never had any problems except for — oh the irony! — occasional seasonal hair loos). I don't have diabetes nor other diseases. I am not obese and I work out 3 times a week. I do not take any medications or supplements. I eat fresh food and drink plenty of water.
    *Anyways, I did not post this because of excessive body hair. I am not bothered by the hair itself. But I am really bothered because of my continuous efforts to remove it — which are pretty much in vain, because it grows back ridiculously fast!
    I have tried any hair removal method there is. Even laser hair removal does not work for me (after the full set of sessions, my hair grows back to what it was in 2 weeks!). I've spoken to many women, but have never met anyone else experience such an insane hair growth rate — like men's 5 o'clock beard. I am not exaggerating. Even after removing hair from the root, my skin is smooth for 1, up to 2 days.
    I have spoken to a dermatologist, but couldn't get an answer on what exactly causes the rate at which body hair grows back. Is it really just genes? Is there anything I can do to normalise it? Of course, I have tried cosmetic lotions to slow it down, but nothing helps.
    I'd really appreciate if you can advise what I can do to change this!

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.