Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/skin-beauty/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    sunscreen advice.....
    An_208034 posted:
    What is the proper way to apply sunscreen to the face? Do you put it on before or after your moisturizer? also, I'm wondering if I should use a moisturizer in the summer time. I am 62 years old and want to protect my skin as much as possible.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi Anon_32206,

I would think that if you need an additional moisturizer like around your eye area, that you may want to put it on first and then put on your daily sunscreen. If you have oily skin then you may not need the additional moisturizer either.

Do you live in a humid climate?

Even with a daily sunscreen remember that the sun is strongest during the midday so wear protective clothing including a hat and sunglasses while outside.

I have oily skin so I don't use a daily moisturizer as I put a sunscreen on my face and that's enough moisture. After sunscreen I use a mineral powder foundation and then apply a powder blush and bronzer.

I take my dog for walks if it's a nice day and I always wear a wide brim hat and sunglasses. In the middle of the summer I also use a parasol or pretty umbrella to shade myself and my dog. I have a sunscreen in the car to reapply as needed and I carry a small tube of sunscreen in my purse for the same reason.

Remember to also use a broad spectrum sunscreen on the rest of your body that's exposed to sunlight too and that includes the neck and chest area as well as your arms and hands. Even when you are driving, you get sun exposure through windows so daily sunscreen is a must!

I hope that helps!

- Annie

Susan Evans, MD responded:
    Dear Anon_32206,

Applying sunscreen is a very important part of your daily skin care regimen, especially if you are exposed to prolonged sunlight. Choosing your SPF level should be based on how long you plan to be outdoors. You may find that you normally turn red after being exposed to the sun for twenty minutes; you will then mulitply that number with the SPF factor to understand how long you will potentially be protected from the sun. For example, 20 (minutes redness appears) X 15 (Sunscreen with SPF 15) = Protection from the sun for 300 minutes. You will need to reapply the sunscreen after 300 minutes expire. You should apply your sunscreen before your moisturizer. If you find your skin is dry, you should apply moisturizer in the summer months. There are also moisturizers containing sunscreen. Ask your dermatologist which sunscreen and moisturizers are best for your skintype.

Best,

Susan Evans, MD

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Don't shave your legs before a pedicure!Expert
    Shaving the legs before going for a pedicure has been linked to an increase risk of infection from pedicure footbaths. This is because the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Secrets of a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon - Robert Kotler, MD ,FACS

Dr. Robert Kotler gets beneath the surface to discuss selecting a cosmetic surgeon, computer imaging, celebrity makeovers and more...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.