Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Painful Skin Infection
    An_249019 posted:
    I am a healthy 30 year old male, keep good hygiene, no serious conditions and not taking any medication.
    In the last 3 months I have gotten 4 very painful and scary looking skin infections. See picture link below for a visual of the problem.
    They take about 2-3 weeks to form and pool with puss that eventually pop with much blood and puss for several days. They are all local to just one area under one armpit, and are reoccurring.
    I tried Amoxicillin (that my wife found at home for something else) it only speed up the process but did not really keep the infections from reoccurring.
    I keep putting on a bunch of ointments: antibacterial cream, tea tree/bees wax cream, zinc oxide cream, but I don't see much effect.
    I am between jobs (i.e. no health insurance), so unless absolutely necessary want to try to treat it myself without going to a specialist. I have a fairly high tolerance for pain but for the last few days before it pops I am taking a lot of painkillers, since the site is in constant contact with skin or clothes.
    Any suggestions you can offer are greatly appreciated.
    My questions.
    1. What is the name of this condition and what causes it?
    2. Will it go away if I do nothing? If so, how long would it take?
    3. What medicine should I be taking? Can I get any of it over-the counter?
    Thanks again for any assistance!

    Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi Anon -

    This certainly does sound painful. For staff and expert to see the photo please use the camera icon at the top of the reply box. Before posting please make sure the photos do not show any "private parts" and are appropriate viewing. You can copy the URL and the photo will show up in the post.

    Unfortunately, we are advised not to click into links due to possible virus.

    Looking forward to helping you out,

    Featuring Experts

    Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

    Helpful Tips

    Treatment for StingsExpert
    Keep a container of meat tenderizer by the kitchen sink. If someone gets stung, make a quick paste by putting some of the meat tenderizer ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    5 of 7 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.