Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/skin-beauty/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Desperate for an answer. Skin Sores.
    An_267623 posted:
    Hello. I'm not quite sure who to turn to, as my mom has seen numerous doctors/dermatologists and even a plastic surgeon about her situation. I can include photos if necessary, but I at least wanted to get an opinion first.

My mom has been suffering since October of 2014 with some sort of abscess-like circles on her arms, legs, stomach, and buttocks. They don't form in clusters per say, they are spread out, some together, some apart. They are red, and occasionally puss out. For the most part they usually break open, and then scab over. It started within the same few months, that her family doctor put her on a high dose of Hydrocodone, and then later switched to Tylenol with Codeine. She is now off of both of those, but is still having these skin lesions.

She went to her family physician, he wasn't sure at first what to diagnose it as, but since my mom has been in so much agony I think he's been pressured into telling her he has diagnosed it as Prurigo.

From what I have read Prurigo is itchy and extremely rare. My mom is having pain in these sores, NOT itchiness. She also is not picking at them, but they break open and puss out. One of the Doctor's she went to see tried to blame it on a psychological problem. Let me tell you, my mom may have anxiety and depression, but this condition just started about 2 years ago, she has had anxiety and depression years before I was born. I HIGHLY do not believe it is Prurigo.

My mom feels it could be something bacterial related, when she takes Tetracycline antibiotic the sores start to clear up a bit, but they don't fully go away. Her family doctor is getting agitated with this, and I'm afraid he probably won't prescribe more antibiotics, even though it's helping a little.

I'm extremely concerned. My mom has come up with the idea to maybe be tested for Strep? She said she thinks it could possibly be one of the two versions of strep, she is going to ask her doctor tomorrow when she goes to see him, but I'm even unsure about that as well. I am hoping that someone can provide me with guidance or answers? Who can I contact? Where can I have her go? Should she see a Dermatologist? Allergist? Neurologist?

Again, I can send photos if you'd like to see the condition, maybe you can diagnose it for me through here? I can then confirm with her medical doctor.

Thank you.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Eczema - Part IExpert
    Dear Readers, Of all the skin conditions I see, the most frustrating for both me and my patients has to be eczema. The most common form ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    24 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.