Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/living-healthy/f/skin-beauty/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Itchy blisters erupting on hands or feet only
    squiddley posted:
    I am hoping against hope that someone will see this and think "oh I know what that is" because I have about given up ever knowing. Nothing works for long except for heavy use of antihistamines which is getting old. But then so am I.

For about 15 years I have had a chronic problem with intense itching in very localized spots on my hands (less commonly on the feet) that becomes so unbearable I could scream. Scratching doesn't help much because the source seems to be pretty deep under the skin. Originally, tiny little blisters would appear in clusters, and the itching would fade. The last few years, though, the blisters have become bigger and keep recurring in the same spots over and over. I take generic prescription hydroxyzine 20mg a day which helps most of the time. If I ever run low or miss a dose the blisters come roaring back. My doctors/dermatologist are pretty much indifferent to it. But if you have ever awakened at night itching so intensely you want to chop your hand off just to make it stop you'd understand. One doctor told me "well, maybe you'll just have to get used to waking up wanting to chop your hand off." They say don't break the blisters but is the only way to stop the itch. But then it scabs over, heals, and comes back.

I have a preference for finding a cause and treating a problem rather than just covering up symptoms. Does this ring a bell for anyone? I have had hundreds of allergy tests (nothing higher than 2) and excema/psoriasis treatments have no effect.

Featuring Experts

Mohiba K Tareen, MD is a board certified dermatologist who has an innovative practice in Roseville, Minnesota. Tareen Dermatology ( www.TareenDermato...More

Helpful Tips

Avoid drinking margaritas in the sun!Expert
    One of the most common things that we see in the office in the summer and after winter vacations are burns from people having lime juice ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    12 of 13 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.